View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 08:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'George View Post
For many years we "reconditioned" rods, espically those that spun a bearing in the rod
A little was milled off the cap or rod, and then it was honed back to size, restoring it to take a normal replacement bearing.( using a sunnen rod hone)
That's still practiced.... on cast or forged rods that have a tongue and groove, or even smooth rod caps. But when they went to powder forged, fractured rods, you can't do it to those. If you spin a bearing, you have to buy new. On occasion I still remachine a rod.

Don,
I still don't really get it.... I do kind of think you are But I guess I am too......
I'm going on memory here, but I think I was quoted around $40 or $50 to remachine a rod to accept a bearing. Plus the bearing, at about $20 with shipping. That is between $60 and $70 for a rod, that maybe, just maybe will be able to be used again. A .020" under rod is $40 free shipping on ebay. You listed 4 engines that you have to overhaul. If my numbers are correct, you will spend $80 more on these engines, assuming that you need all .020" under rods. If you only need .010" under, a new rod is about $31.... so it just made you spend even more. Plus, I think it's important to point out that the 10HP uses a different rod. The 12 and 14 use the same, and I *think* the 16 also uses the same rod, but I don't know. Sticks in my mind there was something different on the 16 rod..... it has a different part number, but in aftermarket, some fit all 3. Maybe it was the length of the dipper. I can't recall. Point is, make sure you are using the correct rod if you are machining ones to put in.