View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 07:26 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge trucker View Post
in this case the customer is me. This is for one of my own machines.
largely want to do this as an experimental thing.... I understand trying to scrimp and save if you're spending someone else's money as long as the end result Is essentially the same. which it would be if I did as you said and just "bought a rod"...
and sometimes I question things even though I know the answer or at least "kinda" know the answer, and talk about it on the applicable forums because I figure I can't be the only guy on a given forum wondering about the same thing....... so others can see the results and put in their experiences, sources, etc..... my point isn't just to solely "", though sometimes it seems so...
and when I am doing work on my own stuff, a "few" bucks one way or the other, in the overall scheme of things, don't really bother me in the end, I like trying out different ways to "skin a cat" sometimes, and am more likely to do so on my own stuff, than on somebody else's
if I can use any 1 rod that I have on hand, regardless of crank machine work needed among them, simply by just swapping different inserts, that has its merits too....
never said this was the "only" way to solve the issue, or even the "best" way.... not trying to open that can of worms.... if this one don't work out, then in the future I'll just buy rods and I'll know how well this idea works out---- or don't.
For many years we "reconditioned" rods, espically those that spun a bearing in the rod
A little was milled off the cap or rod, and then it was honed back to size, restoring it to take a normal replacement bearing.( using a sunnen rod hone)
Before that,
we had shims to take out between the cap & rod to tighten the clearance.
When we ran out of shims, we filied the cap to tighten them some more.
Did it work, hell yes.
Until 1953 chevy had poured babbit rod bearings ( read no inserts) and the rods had "dippers" that got oil out of curved troughs in the oil pan for lubrication as they rotated, I remember them well.