View Single Post
Old 04-20-2019, 01:15 PM

Kohler makes (well, made) an 0.003" over (yes 0.003" besides an 0.030") piston for those engines, the K301 before the last one that I did, I used one. I lucked out and found one cheap on Ebay. the machinist said it would be fine as it came out at between 0.025 to 0.003 over standard when honed, max is 0.0035". It would be bored "next time". I had gotten a Ebay kit, which I still have most of hereā€¦. as yet unused. I miked the kit piston and the NOS 0.003 piston and the 0.003 piston was actually 0.005 bigger than the kit piston.
The kit piston was at the low end of piston diameter tolerance, cyl was at the high end of max diameter allowed before overbore.
so with the 0.003 OS piston in a bore that came out straight and true at 0.0025" over standard, I would up with an engine that had perfect bore to pist0n clearance.
This piston used STD rings and end gap was in the middle of spec range.

Scout around Ebay, don't buy the 1st one you see, anything I buy there I find the same part with a W-I-D-E range of prices. The piston I got for that 301 came with rings (some don't) and the wrist pin (again some don't) was OEM Kohler, still had 1/2" layer of dust on the box even after shipping/ handling, and cost me $40 shipped. while others wanted $200 for the same exact piston and rings.
I try to use OEM parts for internal engine stuff as much as possible.
I just put together a K321 for another machine, and with this engine is the very 1st time for me using a "kit" piston rings and rod. I'm very leery of that 1st startup as a result/
not a fan of parts from "across the pond" and never have been