View Single Post
Old 09-03-2018, 06:27 PM

I would fix it. For a small/medium driveway nothing beats a snowthrower on the front of a garden tractor. I do a whole two blocks of sidewalk and then some, I've been out and done short sections of our walking path in town too.

It sounds like the shafts in the gearbox need to be replaced and those can be found easily. If the output shaft is worn, the coupler on the u-joint will never get completely tight on it no matter how hard you tighten the set screw. From what you say sounds like the input pulley and shaft have been worn too, same situation, keyway shot needs a new shaft and maybe a pulley too? while you there replace the bearings to take care of the lateral movement.
Replace the chain is easy enough if its stretched just count the links and find a store for chain.
On the transfer shaft, I've broke a couple of the spiral pins, and keep a few on the shelf, those generally break from excessive overloading, or hitting something hard. but the belt will slip too, if its overloaded.
Sprocket on the auger would be something I am not familiar with, I would hope that could be replaced,somehow.