View Single Post
Old 10-14-2017, 06:14 PM

I think I may have gotten it fixed. I ended up taking the original carb apart again, soaking it overnight in solvent, cleaning the living heck out of it, and I also got a complete rebuild kit - new gaskets, emulsion tube, adjustment screws, the works. Pretty much everything except the body and the float.

It turns out, the reason this type of carb (Flo-Jet updraft carb) leaks and floods is not due to the float, it's due to the emulsion tube and its mating surfaces. Apparently, if you just screw it in and call it a day, odds are it's not going to be seated right and because the fuel enters the emulsion tube from the bottom of the bowl, unlike most other carbs I've seen where the bowl is underneath and it sucks fuel up from the bowl, fuel will just make its way past that bad seal and flood it out.

After putting it all back together and fiddling with the high speed and low speed adjustments until it seemed to be running good and was running for 5-10 minutes full throttle without any sputtering or dying, I drove it around the yard for 10 minutes or so and it didn't seem to have any issues running.

HOPEFULLY it really is fixed...