View Single Post
Old 05-02-2015, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Default 2182 Partial throttle surge.

2182 Partial throttle surge issue. Well after 3 years I finally found out what has been causing the surge in my 2182. It would idle fine and run wide open but at just a bit over idle it had a horrible surge. Funny thing is only one of my 2182's was doing this. I've even replaced the carb. Today I was working on the last one I picked up because it had a low power problem that turned out to be a governor that was way out of whack, fixed that and it made it run like a new one. So I figured I should check the other one, it needed a little adjustment. Anyway while I had it running with the side cover off I noticed that the spring that connects the throttle linage to the governor was vibrating and the engine was surging, put my finger against it to stop the vibration and the surging stoped. You have got to be kidding me! Unhooked the spring, put a half twist in it and end of problem.

Procedure for adjusting the governor is super simple. With the engine off set the throttle at wide open so that the carb is fully open. Loosen the nut on the governor control and with a flat blade screw driver turn the governor shaft fully clockwise looking at it from the top. Hold the governor shaft and tighten the nut back up. You'll need a 12mm wrench for the nut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3979.jpg (28.1 KB, 508 views)
BX2670 with FEL