Thread: Kids on OCC
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2018, 11:23 PM
Banned

Default Kids on OCC

Ok... so I want to give an opinion, and I want to make a suggestion.

We seem to be seeing more and more of the "younger" generation on this site. And by younger I mean under 18. We've always had a few kids floating around on here, and for the most part that's cool. Well, I just found out that we have a 10 year old kid on here now. We have a few more new members who are also under 18. I want to say, I have no issue with members who are younger, and in some ways it's cool. I probably would have thought it was cool to talk to guys who had an interest in Cubs like I did back when I was 12 and playing with our old 71, cultivating the garden and tugging things around I had built. But.... the internet didn't exist back then. Times have changed.

So, for the sake of argument, lets just use the age old "law" that at 18 you're an adult. That being the case, I'd like to know when someone on here is a minor, and not by having to ask.... or figure it out 15 posts into a thread while trying to help them fix a tractor, and getting frustrated because they just don't understand.

Here's my suggestion: Could we ad something to the profile of a person under 18 that denotes it? Just like under all our names we have "New Member", "Senior Member" and such. Something nice that just calls attention to the fact the a member is a minor? That way if they are asking questions in a thread, we know who we are dealing with? Or if they try to give advice to someone,( and they do) the OP can see that it is a younger member trying to help? I know, I know.... people will just lie about their age. Happens all the time. But eventually, it usually becomes obvious that they are a kid. If someone lies about their age, and it comes out, just add the "marker" to their profile and go on. Just hard to try and remember who is who with new members sometimes.

Just a suggestion.....