View Single Post
Old 05-31-2017, 11:15 AM

i was born and raised in a state where alot of small engine manufacturers were all either started built or headquartered...kohler cast iron singles, (i would say best air cooled engine ever built..considering amount of parts, power/ torque, cost of rebuild, application, etc) just kill the briggs of the time hands down....some say the 3 degree valve angle, i say just the shear mass and quality... look at a starter from a 1975 briggs vs what kohler decided to use... ever worked on an old wisco...????thats a good motor, great motor...tecumseh sucks!!!, and briggs went cheap earlier...aluminum blocks with cast iron sleeves,(which everyone would do) poor quality control, rods pop all the time, youll see so many aluminum briggs in the boneyards that will spin over with the piston not moving on top...ive been working on them since i was 6, and although ive seen one with over 2k hrs on it, they are second to kohler for sure...the kohler courage REALLY hurt them, and they havent always built gold standard either its even put them behind brands like kawasaki, suburu robbins, etc...but their gen-sets and new diesels are supposed to be pretty top of the line stuff...yeah if it wasnt for japanese gearheads and c.e.o's about to lose their bonuses briggs would be dead...trust me ive been driving past that place since i was a kid..

.just my opinion of course

besides, if briggs or the vanguard was so good then why cant you get one in a scag?? best mower on the market, (also made in WI by the way) and if you havent mowed with one dont tell me theyre not!!! kawis and kohlers and kubota diesels is all they offer....i really thought that liquid cooled would be the way of the future for lawn equipment...but after owning one i see why theyre not....just plug the radiator or screen too much..most brands even offering less water cooled models than before....good discussion though...we have beer and harleys here too...used to have lots of beer