View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 02:36 PM

Default Tearing further into the 107

So Recently I finally decided to bite the bullet and start fixing everything I know needs fixing on the 107. I started with the speed control lever, but while having it off decided to pull the steering wheel, dash cowl, and whole tower. Will also do some stuff up front, fortunately nothing with the engine itself. The current list stands as:
  • Fix hydro control lever to remove play that it had
  • Loosen friction on the hydro linkage so it moves easier
  • Drill and tap out a broken screw (one of the 4 that holds the dash cowl and tin)
  • Drill and tap out a broken bolt (one of 2 that hold the throttle control)
  • Clean up rust beneath tower and make sure it is all clean
  • Neaten wiring and make sure it is all clean and tight
  • Clean up the space between engine and cast iron grille housing
  • Install graphite PTO button that I stole from my parts 105 (not perfect but still in pretty good shape)
  • Adjust throttle linkage where the cable connects so I can get WOT (knocked out of proper adjustment when I tore everything apart for valve adjustment)
  • Increase governor spring tension -> less RPM loss under load

It seems like a long list, but most things are small easy jobs. Nothing in the list has been serious enough to prevent me from using the machine, and I haven't used it much anyway over the past few months. But since I'm using it even less now, and because it may see slightly increased use this summer (and possibly a few shows ) decided it wouldn't hurt to just fix these all now.

Fortunately the hydro is pretty much good (leaks slowly but that doesn't bother me too much), engine is pretty much good other than the linkage adjustments described above and needing a new S/G belt. Steering is solid with very little play. Crazy part is that I'm looking forward to all this work, I think it's gonna be fun to finally tear into this tractor in a bit different way than previously

Will update and get some nice pretty pictures for you guys, here she is in her current state before any repairs:
IMG_20201227_105831.jpg

Before you all go I do have one question, how does one remove the ammeter from the dash? I cannot seem to figure it out for the life of me. I could just leave it in and disconnect the wires but I would rather be able to clean it, the tin, and the cowl separately. There must be some way as my 106's has been replaced. Anybody know?

'70 107 with k301 engine swap
'71 106 with 38" deck
'70 147R with factory replacement k321, 42" deck
'61 Original with 38" timed deck
'63 70 "pinkie"
1863 with 54" deck
'46 Farmall H, '50 Farmall Cub

105 x2 (parts)