View Single Post
Old 10-20-2014, 11:15 PM

Default Choke all the time now a recent issue

Hi Everyone!

It's been awhile and hope all is well! My beautiful Cadet AGS 2160 with Vangard 16hp 303447 has ran into an issue.. Here is my story!

A few weeks back I pulled my riding mower out and ran it parked and idle throttle due to the fact it sat unused for a few months an the battery was almost dead. So as it ran I went back in the house and started doing some tiling.. I came back out say 30mins later hoping the battery fully charged.. Well I noticed the engine was off. First thing I did was check the fuel and empty.. So I filled it with fresh gas and turned it over, started within a few tries.. Ran fine, parked it and went back inside.. So the other day I decided to start it again and use it around the yard.. Started right up and then a minute later it began to bog down and finally die.. I tried and tried and tried different things to get it going again.. By now the battery is almost dead and I am running low on ideas.. I pull the full hose to the carb and try to crank it. Fuel pours out ok and smells fine.. So then I thought last idea. I unscrew the top of the carb and look inside.. filled with fuel and looks good.. Then i look closer in the bowl and noticed what looks like old fuel at the bottom and newer fuel at top.. I smell it and the fuel is odorless knowing its bad fuel. I cover the air intake port and absorb as much fuel out and then blow out the rest. Then blew out all the port holes on the carb as well. Refill the carb bowel with fresh fuel and then throw the cover back on. Take out the spark plugs and blow them out along with the cylinders. Turn it over and it starts right away.. and keeps running! running great now. I ease of the choke and the engine dies right away.. Anyway after playing and playing with it. I have noticed the engine will only run with choke on low and full throttle. I would assume this is due to the engine starving of fuel?

I am thinking my next try is to pull apart the fuel pump and clean it or is there something else I should look for? I have a clear fuel filer on the line and its clean looking. It appears all the old fuel is purged from the system. Anyone else here ran into this issue?

I love this little mower so its something always in the back of my head and never enough time to look at it!

Thanks guys!