View Single Post
Old 10-07-2014, 05:02 PM
Banned

I did some research, then I actually read all the way through your post. Sorry, I had just skimmed it. The operator and parts books are NBD to get, but you'll more than likely end up with a manual that covers a bunch of motors to get the one you need.

Lets start with this. The model you listed: 31Q777 0305E1 040826ZD. But B&S needs XXX-XXXX-XX. SO you use 31Q777-0305-E1. Don't worry about the 040826ZD that basically says it's in a Cub Cadet. Now, after reading your issue, I highly doubt you have a governor problem. See, when you idle down, you are forcing the throttle closed, and completely bypassing the governor. IF the governor is still trying to control the motor, it's not set right. I seriously doubt it has anything wrong with the governor. Time and time again, I'm disappointed with diagnosis' of said small engine "mechanics". Also, did you check to see that none of the linkage is binding or that the idle stop screw isn't too far out? Here's a good test. Set the throttle on the dash just above idle. Then (motor OFF) reach down and "flip" the throttle on the motor. Does it go wide open then close? Does it seem "stiff"? It should flop around very easily. If it doesn't, it's binding.

Researching that engine, I also see a lot of posts on forums about failed head gaskets. This could also be your idle problem. If it can get air into the cylinder by-passing the carb (Vacuum leak) then that can cause it to idle fast. I'd suggest a compression check. Adjusting the valves, like you said is also a good idea. Perhaps the compression release isn't working properly.