View Single Post
Old 10-03-2018, 06:51 PM

Boring the block was never a question - it was foregone conclusion. The only question was (and is) how much. I had asked about boring it out to a K321's bore because I had read a blurb somewhere about someone apparently doing it - I'm guessing it's one of those things where it 'technically' can be done, but it's not a good idea for one reason or another. Either way, since you said no, I'll plan on boring it the least amount possible to get the proper clearances for whatever piston size is required (To be honest, if you had said 'yes, that can be done without issue', then I probably would have gone that route - 2 extra HP plus just order the parts hand have it machined to properly clear that piston and it's done vs having to first determine how much material needs to be removed to true it up before I can order the parts). If it can be trued up and properly clearanced for a .010 over piston, then that'll be it. Same goes for the crank - there is some rod material on the crank, but not a whole lot, so hopefully a .010 under sized crank will do the trick.

Thanks for the tip on decking it.

And thanks for the offer on the engine you have - I want to try my hand at a full rebuild on this one. WAAAAY back in high school, in one of my classes, we took apart and 'rebuilt' lawnmower engines at one point. Mine ran and didn't blow up lol. Since then, I've done a lot of automotive motor work - engine swaps, head gaskets, etc on v6's, v8's, gas, diesel, pushrod, OHC, DOHC, etc - just never a full rebuild including the rotating assembly (and there are several people that won't let anyone but me touch their vehicles as I've put new life into their vehicles a few times FWLIW). Pretty much all top end work. Now, if I get this rebuilt and it goes horribly south, then I'll come see you about rebuilding the other block.

Next time I'm out at my grandmothers, I'll have to see if there are any more CC engine parts laying around - I know there's another motor that my grandfather had taken apart, but I don't recall what model it was. If I can get the parts to rebuild the K301AS as a K301A without having to first take apart the existing K301A, that would be ideal. In a perfect world, I'd like to get the engine I have apart fully rebuilt and ready to do a straight swap in one swoop.