View Single Post
Old 07-02-2015, 09:45 PM

Default Onan Teardown help

Hey Guys, Before anyone points it out.. yes I have been to the Tractor Forum article on "How to rebuild your Onan engine" Yes it's fantastic and very helpful. However I'm stuck in the teardown process at a spot before the Article starts. If anyone could offer some tips or guidance it would be appreciated. I have the Onan out of the tractor finally! I have all of the shrouding completely off. I removed the rear screen and exposed the flywheel. I was able to remove the bolt that holds the flywheel into the Crankshaft but the flywheel it's self will not budge. I am not sure what to do and I don't want to force anything for fear of breaking something. Am I missing something here? Is there some secret bolt or pin holding it in I am not seeing? Also the front PTO will not come off. I have 2 stripped bolts holding it to the engine block. I'm picking up some stripped bolt removal tools tomorrow. However, I can't get the bolt that holds it to the Crankshaft to break loose. Is this a reverse thread or something? Whats the best way to break this seal so i can get the front PTO off and the flywheel off?

1980ish 982 w/ 3pt. & PTO /50C deck - a Work in progress. Brinly Moldboard Plow.

I'm a complete noob at this so please take it easy on me.