Thread: Splitting 123
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2021, 04:46 PM
Grand Member

Default Two steps forward.

Well, in todays installment, I got the brake and hydro linkage back installed and then recoupled the two halves. Note to self: Brake rod can only go in if the hydro filter is removed...at least in this 123. While it's all not yet adjusted, it all does seem to play well together (brake and hydro controls) again.

I got the new rag joint on the new driveshaft and the driveshaft pinned at the end into the hydro . Oh and the fan blade (new, for the time being) is on it.

Therein lies a problem. The snap ring is not on the fan (for some reason, I thought I'd install it after getting the driveshaft/fan assy into the tractor. No way!)

I did get the fan / driveshaft in without breaking the fan, but I think it has to come back out again, so I can install the snap ring that holds the fan in place , on. At this point, I'm not sure if it's easier to remove the two bolts to the rag joint (1 16th of a turn at a time) , or drive out the new spirol pin again in order to remove the driveshaft.

I did NOT remove the fan housing which might have been a mistake. I tell you, the fan is one of the least well engineered part of this tractor IMHO. I wonder how many intact fans are out there? I think maybe if I carefully remove the fan shroud there may be enough room to get the snap ring pliers in there to fasten the fan to Jeff's shiny new driveshaft, then gently slip the shroud back in place and bolt it down without destroying the new fan.

I have the back wheels of the cub against a wall, with the front propped up on a jackstand that's on top of a work mate. After all, it's been 3 weeks since I was last in the emergency room!

Every mechanical assembly is a jigsaw puzzle to reassemble. Im discovering that there's a very definite sequence to this particular puzzle.
147, 122
parts

It's only original ONCE!