Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Onan Engines (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Onan intake manifold (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38818)

ssechrist 05-09-2015 05:00 PM

Onan intake manifold

1 Attachment(s)
Took the intake manifold to check it. I'm having problems with the engine acting like it's running out of gas, I have to play with the choke to keep it running. I learned the intake manifold is a 2 piece & I am trying to figure out how to get it apart so I can reseal it.

ssechrist 05-09-2015 05:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another pic

dvogtvpe 05-09-2015 05:56 PM

those aren't really meant to come apart. if you are concerned that its leaking put it back on the tractor, run the engine and spray starting fluid or carb cleaner around the seam.

ssechrist 05-09-2015 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvogtvpe (Post 327913)
those aren't really meant to come apart. if you are concerned that its leaking put it back on the tractor, run the engine and spray starting fluid or carb cleaner around the seam.

Thank you dvogtvpe, I'll give that a try.

J-Mech 05-09-2015 06:35 PM

They are known to leak. Don is correct, the best thing is to see if it actually is before tearing it apart. There is a rubber seal inside of it. You have to drill the rivets out, pull it apart and silicone it back together, then install new rivets. No gasket available because as Don said, it wasn't meant to be disassembled. :beerchug:

R Bedell 05-09-2015 06:37 PM

Why not just run a bead of High Temp RTV around the seam.....????:bigthink:

J-Mech 05-09-2015 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R Bedell (Post 327924)
Why not just run a bead of High Temp RTV around the seam.....????:bigthink:

It wouldn't work. If it is leaking, it would be small area and hard to find. The seam should be pretty tight and it's unlikely that it would get in deep enough to seal it. I suppose you could try it, but even if it does work, I doubt it would last long.

ssechrist 05-09-2015 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Mech (Post 327922)
They are known to leak. Don is correct, the best thing is to see if it actually is before tearing it apart. There is a rubber seal inside of it. You have to drill the rivets out, pull it apart and silicone it back together, then install new rivets. No gasket available because as Don said, it wasn't meant to be disassembled. :beerchug:

Thanks J-Mech, it looks like the gasket was prig ally silicone or it has been resealed before.

dvogtvpe 05-09-2015 07:04 PM

if I were to drill one apart I'd try to use screws of some sorts to put it back together. so its easily servicable

BThein 05-09-2015 09:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I drilled out the rivets on my 982 with the Onan and sealed it up with black high temp Permatex that was rated for use in gas and oil. I used small screws and nuts with lock washers and a dot of locktight on each. Put it all back together with new intake gaskets and carb rebuilt. After that it ran great, just inspect the intake well mine had hairline cracks and I had to make one good one from two bad.

Bob