Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Kohler Engines (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Magnum 20 governor spring (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53485)

duryea21 09-30-2018 07:07 PM

Magnum 20 governor spring

Can some of you guys please tell me about the different types of spring on the Magnum 20 Governor? What are the different part number or colors for the rpm? My Magnum is running at 2800 now, and I would like to get the 3600 out of it. Thanks in advance..

J-Mech 09-30-2018 07:48 PM

As far as I know, there is only one available spring. (For a GT application. A gen set might use a different spring.) The high idle no load speed is adjustable. The procedure is in the service manual.

duryea21 09-30-2018 11:27 PM

Jonathan maybe you can give me a few tips on how to get more rpm. When I try to increase it the governor will hold the throttle wide open and it runs like crap. If I just touch the governor arm with very little pressure it returns to the 3600 rpm I set it at, that’s why I’m thinking there are different springs for different applications,

J-Mech 10-01-2018 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duryea21 (Post 467983)
Jonathan maybe you can give me a few tips on how to get more rpm. When I try to increase it the governor will hold the throttle wide open and it runs like crap. If I just touch the governor arm with very little pressure it returns to the 3600 rpm I set it at, that’s why I’m thinking there are different springs for different applications,

Ok.... so I can't sleep, just like most every night.
What you say doesn't make a lot of sense, so lets knock that out first.
You say that when you increase throttle the governor will hold the throttle open and it's runs like crap. If the governor is trying to hold the throttle WOT, then it would appear it is doing it's job. If the engine doesn't run well, that has nothing to do with the governor. The governors only job is to regulate RPM. It's only control or function is engine speed. It's can't make it run good or bad, it can only regulate speed or it can't. You go on to say that if you just touch the governor arm with very little pressure it returns to 3600 RPM where you set it. By my total understanding of a governor, you are trying to slow it down, by pushing against the spring. This indicates you have two issues: 1.) You do not have the governor set correctly and 2.) You have some kind of running issue. Likely something either not set right on the carb, or an issue of some kind with it.

Now.... back to the governor spring. I refuse to look through the likely 100 different spec numbers to see if more than one spring is available for the M20. There likely is.... but what I know for certain, is that there is only one spring for the spec number of your engine in the particular CC tractor it is in. I doubt the spring is the issue. If you suspect it is the spring, and it eases your mind, order a new one. It's likely about $15.

Here's a crash course in governors. All they are is a balance beam. Picture in your mind a teeter todder (balance scale) on a playground. On one end is a spring connected to the ground. On the other end, you put a weight on the seat until the scale is balanced. The more pressure you put on the spring (dash throttle lever) the more weight (governor flyweight) it takes to balance the scale. The different holes in the governor arm to attach the spring is like moving the spring toward the center of the scale, or close to the seat. Most everyone understands physics enough to know that the close to the center of the scale the spring is, the less weight it takes to balance the scale. The close the spring to the seat, the more weight it takes. Even if the spring on the engine isn't the correct one, you should be able to get it to work. There wouldn't physically be that much difference between say a gen set spring and one for a GT. (Lets not get too deep here.)

So.... read the book again, and tune the carb, set the high idle no load speed using the throttle stop on the arm that the dash cable is attached to and see what you get. If you think you need a new or different spring, then order one..... but it likely isn't going to fix the issue unless someone put a hardware store spring on it, or the one on it is completely wore out. As in, if you take if off it has gaps in the spring coils because it's lost it's "spring".

duryea21 10-01-2018 02:16 AM

Thanks I will mess with it tomorrow and keep you updated. Also how can I post a video of it for you to see

Terry C 10-01-2018 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duryea21 (Post 467992)
Thanks I will mess with it tomorrow and keep you updated. Also how can I post a video of it for you to see

You must upload to YouTube then post the link here. Can’t put a vid on this site.

duryea21 10-01-2018 04:10 PM

Ok where can I get Kohler part number 52 091 04s

J-Mech 10-01-2018 05:14 PM

Cub cadet, ebay, Kohler..... anywhere you want.

I still don't think you need a spring.

duryea21 10-01-2018 06:41 PM

I tried Kohler they said it was nla, and i think you are correct about the hardware store spring, the one end was crimped really bad. It looks like they shortened it compared to pictures i see. Please let me know if you find one

duryea21 10-01-2018 08:31 PM

I should clarify that the Kohler is not in a Cub Cadet sorry guys i see the Cubs are different