Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Customized Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   73 - the Low buck worker (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48877)

Randy Littrell 06-03-2017 06:56 PM

73 - the Low buck worker

1 Attachment(s)
I picked up a 73 for $75 recently and I plan on fixing this up using nothing but parts, paint, tires, etc that I already have. I bought a new 12x24 shed this spring so money is a little tight and I thought it would be fun.

It doesn't run right now but PO said it should run! They always say they ran when parked right?

Someone was building a puller out of this I think. The guy I bought it from had a couple hundred mowers and appeared to sleeping in a tent behind the house where all this stuff was. I didn't want to ask too many questions!

Here is a pic of how it was when I got it.

Randy Littrell 06-03-2017 07:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I adding tires and wheels and will paint them and the hood linen white. Its not the correct color, but I have the paint and may try to tint it to get it a little closer to stock. Swapped over the seat and mount from another tractor I bought last year.

Also put the steering wheel from the 2182 parts tractor I picked up this spring.

Randy Littrell 06-03-2017 07:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is a couple of pics from after the trip to the carwash. I used oven cleaner to get all the grease off and it worked really well. It took a lot of the paint off and some primer right down to the bare metal.

Somebody stripped a lot of the this cub down and primed and rattle canned it. I will DA it down and reprime with good primer before I paint.

Driveshaft and clutches actually look pretty good, but will pull it apart and look it over. I do have a blue spring to add to the driveshaft.

twoton 06-03-2017 07:11 PM

Very cool! :beerchug:

I can see from the first picture that you Randy, are one tall dude! Wow!:bigeyes:

Randy Littrell 06-03-2017 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoton (Post 422984)
Very cool! :beerchug:

I can see from the first picture that you Randy, are one tall dude! Wow!:bigeyes:

Man I wish! I am really a short rounder!

Randy

Shrewcub 06-03-2017 08:26 PM

Amazing what a good bath and new tires do! :beerchug::popcorn:

zippy1 06-03-2017 10:29 PM

Looks good thus far.:beerchug:
Does it run?:bigthink:

Randy Littrell 06-04-2017 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy1 (Post 423029)
Looks good thus far.:beerchug:
Does it run?:bigthink:

Not sure yet. It looks like someone worked on it recently, but wiring is trash, carb shaft is very loose so it will need rebuilt and no S/G.

No big deal on any of that, but I have a complete stock 301 out of my puller that I don't pull anymore and its a good strong motor. Probably swap it out and play with the other motor another day.

If it runs, I will use it in a well used 100 that I am going to give to my neighbor. He is a good kid and he is going to help me do some work around the shop is trade.

Gonna try and have it running by next weekend.

Randy

Tim.E 06-27-2017 08:18 PM

Nice tractor. What's the story on the 4 bolt front hubs?

Randy Littrell 06-28-2017 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim.E (Post 425634)
Nice tractor. What's the story on the 4 bolt front hubs?

They came on a little wheel horse I bought and they held air, so I put them on for now. I have some other tires and wheels but I am currently emptying out some storage and moving stuff to a new shed I bought, so its what I had at the time.

I have too many wide front wheels and not enough narrows. I really like the narrows better for running tri-ribs.

Its really a nice little tractor, can't decide how deep to get into it. Just enough to work it, or make it nice enough I can take to some shows too.

Randy