Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT) (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Can't Adjust Carb-Engine won't Run Long Enought (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60997)

rflemann 03-17-2023 03:30 PM

Can't Adjust Carb-Engine won't Run Long Enought

I am really fighting to get my new cheapie carb adjusted on my Quietline 1200.
Put the new carb on and it will start pretty quick with 1/2 choke and 1/2 throttle. I had pre adjusted the fast idle screw on top to 2 revs up and out from bottom, slow idle adjustment 2 and 1/2 revs up and out of bottom.
After starting, if any change it throttle and the engine dies. If left to run after starting, I will only run for about 30 seconds then quits. Help! I am very frustrated.
Thanks for all replies!

darkminion_17 03-17-2023 04:22 PM

You should contact the place you got the carburetor from for help as they know there product better.

finsruskw 03-17-2023 04:37 PM

Float waaay out of adjustment?

rflemann 03-17-2023 05:49 PM

I gave up on the new Chinese junk carburetor. Got the old one out, took it apart and it was filthy. Bowl is corroded and needs a good cleaning. I'm going to clean it up, and any parts that need replacing will rob off the Chinese and see if they will interchange. Bowl, needle etc. Will do the rebuild in the morning over coffee and reinstall by lunch. I will report how it goes late tomorrow. Thanks for the replies.

finsruskw 03-17-2023 06:25 PM

Don't be surprised if all the threads are different!!

Gary C 03-17-2023 07:44 PM

Usually just a real good cleaning gets them going. I soak my carb in lacquer thinner. Just make sure the rubber parts are not soaked. Clean the float seat with a “Q” tip. If you have torch tip cleaners, they work great for the passages and offices. You can use kitchen cleanser on a “Q” tip to polish the jets and the float seat.

rflemann 03-18-2023 08:49 AM

Thanks for the cleaning tips! I will work on it indoors this morning and then install it and test late this afternoon. Stand by for report later today.
Thanks!

Ambush 03-18-2023 09:52 AM

Buy a can or two of aerosol carb cleaner. I spray the all the orifices and journals over a pan, then pour the liquid into a jar with a mouth big enough to put the carb body through. All the little parts go into the jar along with the body. If you have a rubber float needle seat take that out!!

Let the carb soak overnight, then use wire to push through all the journals and orifices. Torch tip cleaning wires are cheap and easy to find and a set will have every size you need. Then spray again with the aerosol, then compressed air.

Don't be cheap with the carb cleaner.

Set the float level properly.

athomas 03-18-2023 12:46 PM

Are you sure you got a good fuel flow to the carb ? Honestly I've used some china carbs when I didn't have the original and found most to run fine right out of the box with very little tweaking ! :beerchug:

rflemann 03-18-2023 12:58 PM

Cleaning up original carb now. Bowl is corroded and rusting on the bottom. Took bowl off of Chinese carb, perfect match as well as plug but metal washer/seal.
FINRUSKW, you were right on the Chinese carb.....float was "Waay out of adjustment" I'm impressed.
Now I got a choice, finish cleaning original or reinstall original......