Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   The Tool Shed (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Tool/Tractor Shed (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3213)

Magnum 02-25-2010 06:41 AM

Tool/Tractor Shed

My two car garage is full of stuff, my 127. blower, thatcher, plows, generator, push mowers, etc. I was thinking about building a shed but then I started looking at these style sheds http://www.elitedeals.com/ha10x8oustsh.html Have any of you seen these before? Seems like it might be easier, faster and cheaper than building one. Any ideas?

rmunro 02-25-2010 08:46 AM

That is almost(maybe is--different brand name??) identical to the one I put up last fall. You can store a ton of stuff in it. I don't keep my tractor in that one, but it is kept between another one, and the garage in winter.

Check out the base they offer. If it is like mine it's not worth powder to blow it up. I used 2x6 and 3/4 inch plywood. Keeps it high and dry. That one they sell you is really junk.

Be prepared, it takes a few hours to build. And would be tough to do alone. All in all they work well, and at that price you can't build a stick built. And they look good too.

Magnum 02-25-2010 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmunro (Post 21610)
That is almost(maybe is--different brand name??) identical to the one I put up last fall. You can store a ton of stuff in it. I don't keep my tractor in that one, but it is kept between another one, and the garage in winter.

Check out the base they offer. If it is like mine it's not worth powder to blow it up. I used 2x6 and 3/4 inch plywood. Keeps it high and dry. That one they sell you is really junk.

Be prepared, it takes a few hours to build. And would be tough to do alone. All in all they work well, and at that price you can't build a stick built. And they look good too.

Thanks for the input. Did you sink you 2x6's in the ground at all or just build a ramp? Looking at the pictures the floor frame they sell mounts just inside the walls, is there a lip or edge that you built you platform to or did you just make it larger and rest it on there? I was thinking of using 4x4's with 3/4" plywood, making it a little larger than the shed then using the concrete anchor kit. If there is a lip of some sort I could just screw it right to the floor.

ol'George 02-25-2010 09:55 AM

FWIW
Go as big as you can, and it still won't be big enough!!!!
my "shed" is 40' x 70' and it's too small, BTDT
There is no such thing as:
too much $$$
too much storage space
too many toys!!

rmunro 02-25-2010 10:06 AM

What I do with these shed is build the frame about 1/2 inch bigger than the shed. Then fasten shed right to the outer 2x6's using deck screws. With about a quarter inch of 2x6 outside aon each side. You only want it a slight bit larger than the shed, as if you don't water will go under the shed. Then I lay the plywood inside and screw down around the outside and to the joists. The plywood actually goes over a little lip. That shed can't go anywhere then.

Actually, no, I don't want the wood even on the ground. I place cement stones under the wood. Then built a ramp. Also easier to level the way.

Any base I built and put a shed on, I never had issues with water on the floor coming in under the shed.

I'd like to give you pics, but I can't. I expect my suggestions are clear as mud, feel free to e-mail me if you've questions.

rmunro 02-25-2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ol'George (Post 21615)
FWIW
too much $$$
too much storage space
too many toys!!

LOL. The more space I have the more junk I collect!!!!

IHCadet122 02-25-2010 10:27 AM

I hope they make these better than they used to. When my mom bought our first house in PA, it had one of these behind it. It was rusted up so bad, it was surprising it was still standing. I imagine as long as you take care of it (keep up with paint, etc.), it should hold up.

rmunro 02-25-2010 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHCadet122 (Post 21621)
I hope they make these better than they used to. When my mom bought our first house in PA, it had one of these behind it. It was rusted up so bad, it was surprising it was still standing. I imagine as long as you take care of it (keep up with paint, etc.), it should hold up.

I have one in my back yard that I put up 25 years ago. I does need roof paint now, but hasn't started to rust. I have seen them as you mention. Maybe different brands?? I dunno.

Magnum 02-25-2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ol'George (Post 21615)
FWIW
too much $$$
too much storage space
too many toys!!

Yeah I know what you mean. I'm only on 1/3 of an acre for now. I might wind up with a 10x14 or so, I am going to try to wedge it between my house and my neighbors fence to try to block off that side of the yard and put a little gate or something in. Hopefully in a couple years I'll be moving on to a bigger place so then I really have room to grow.

Magnum 02-25-2010 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmunro (Post 21618)
What I do with these shed is build the frame about 1/2 inch bigger than the shed. Then fasten shed right to the outer 2x6's using deck screws. With about a quarter inch of 2x6 outside aon each side. You only want it a slight bit larger than the shed, as if you don't water will go under the shed. Then I lay the plywood inside and screw down around the outside and to the joists. The plywood actually goes over a little lip. That shed can't go anywhere then.

Actually, no, I don't want the wood even on the ground. I place cement stones under the wood. Then built a ramp. Also easier to level the way.

Any base I built and put a shed on, I never had issues with water on the floor coming in under the shed.

I'd like to give you pics, but I can't. I expect my suggestions are clear as mud, feel free to e-mail me if you've questions.

Got it sounds good, maybe a bead of silicone as well on the outer edge to prevent water from coming in will help as well.