Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Talk (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Cub Low Boy 154 Clutch Issue (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46135)

J-Mech 02-24-2017 09:38 PM

There were gears replaced in the trans. If first was one, it will have to wear in. It would have no wear pattern, and the mate to it would. That would cause noise.

drglinski 02-25-2017 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Mech (Post 394699)
Lance, I agree with you. They are simple..... but they are much larger than a garden tractor. If you don't have a decent garage with a fairly large jack, jack stands, and some kind of a crane or splitting stand.... It's just a bit more than the average do-it-yourselfer has at home to work with. It's not the complexity so much as the size. :beerchug:

I can split a 100HP tractor in a couple hours. I'd honestly rather do that than split a Lo-Boy.:biggrin2: They just aren't as "friendly" to work on.

What you mean I shouldn't just rely on my back to split one of these? :bigthink:

cgmiller 05-02-2017 09:47 PM

I am glad to report that I have cut the grass 2x now that I have the tractor back and repaired. With ear plugs in I am not bothered about the loud sound from the tranny and with the blades spinning and the throttle up I don't hear the loud gear noise...and it is only taking me half the time to cut the front lawn with the bigger mower deck..

cgmiller 08-08-2018 10:11 PM

Reaching out again to the experts. By the end of the mowing season last year I had to take the tractor back to the mechanic to get then clutch adjusted as I was having trouble getting it into gear and dirt in the carb was preventing it from running at low idle. I am now having the same issue. I know that I need to install an inline fuel filter. Bought one from Hamilton Bob but have not gotten around to it yet. It is paining me to jam the tractor in gear to mow the yard. Does anyone have simple step by step on adjusting the clutch? I don't want to wait 2 more months to take it in for service as I have to wait until the mechanic is finished fixing the farmers hay equipment.

J-Mech 08-08-2018 10:15 PM

If the tractor has a sediment bowl, and the screen is still in it, you don't need an inline fuel filter. Clean the sediment bowl, check the screen, drain the carb and see what that does.

Take the tunnel cover off. If you can't see how the clutch adjusts, just wait on the mechanic. It's pretty obvious. Unless you are hard on a clutch, it shouldn't need adjusted this often. How often do you shift this thing? You don't rest your foot on the clutch while driving it do you?

Here is a link to the repair manual(s):
http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/P...um=&doSearch=Y

olds45512 08-08-2018 10:27 PM

We had a ford tractor that the clutch kept going out of adjustment, we adjusted it 4 times over 3 months and then finally it stopped working entirely, turned out that the pin holding the clutch fork to the pedal shaft had been slowly sheering off.

J-Mech 08-08-2018 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olds45512 (Post 463236)
We had a ford tractor that the clutch kept going out of adjustment, we adjusted it 4 times over 3 months and then finally it stopped working entirely, turned out that the pin holding the clutch fork to the pedal shaft had been slowly sheering off.

Lo-Boy clutch works pretty much the same way as a cadet. Not saying it couldn't be something like that... but it uses a rod set up like a cadet..... just backwards, because the clutch is on the transmission.

olds45512 08-08-2018 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Mech (Post 463237)
Lo-Boy clutch works pretty much the same way as a cadet. Not saying it couldn't be something like that... but it uses a rod set up like a cadet..... just backwards, because the clutch is on the transmission.

I assumed it was more like a tractor clutch. I've never worked on a Lo-Boy trans before.

J-Mech 08-08-2018 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olds45512 (Post 463240)
I assumed it was more like a tractor clutch. I've never worked on a Lo-Boy trans before.

They are weird. Mix between a tractor clutch and a CC clutch.... and some elements of a truck clutch, like the clutch brake. They're altogether different, but really simple. Biggest oddity is the location, on the trans input shaft.

DeltaCub 08-09-2018 02:31 AM

The 154s and 185s have the same goofy clutch setup like Jon said mounted at the input end of the transmission. Now this setup uses two pucks about 1/2" in diameter to stop the shaft from spinning when the clutch pedal is depressed. They wear out along with everything else. Hamilton Bob has most of the parts and I highly recommend replacing just about everything in that setup. Plan on spending some serious money. Also the pedal linkage wears away too and that requires some welding and fitting skills to get all of the slop out of the linkage. Not a hopeless situation....just expensive!