Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   What is it worth ? (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Good buy or not (for the price)? (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53018)

froggy15 08-06-2018 09:50 AM

Good buy or not (for the price)?

2 Attachment(s)
Hi,

Came across this ad for a 129 on Craigslist. Asking $1100. Owner says the following: "Mostly refurbished over the winter 2016/2017 ,lots of new parts. Nothing was done to the engine, it runs great! No oil or trans leaks. All fluids were changed. There is no play in the front and steering was tightened up. The deck is in good shape also refurbished with new belt and extra set of blades. It has new amp meter and lamps but the lights dont work? Rear tires are showing dryrot but hold air."

Probably worth looking at it - only about an hour from me. I've heard that these old IH tractors are very well made, but would feel more comfortable if the refurb had included some engine overhaul. I mean, this is a '73 tractor. How long do these old Kohler engines go without needing at least some minor work? Mentions nothing about the transmission either. He says it was his Dad's, but doesn't seem to know much history on it. Also claims, when I asked, that it doesn't seem to burn oil. I get the feeling he doesn't really know all that much about it.

Thank you for any advice.

cooperino 08-06-2018 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by froggy15 (Post 462837)
Hi,

Came across this on Craigslist. Asking $1100. Owner says the following: "Mostly refurbished over the winter 2016/2017 ,lots of new parts. Nothing was done to the engine, it runs great! No oil or trans leaks. All fluids were changed. There is no play in the front and steering was tightened up. The deck is in good shape also refurbished with new belt and extra set of blades. It has new amp meter and lamps but the lights dont work? Rear tires are showing dryrot but hold air."

Probably worth looking at it - only about an hour from me. I've heard that these old IH tractors are very well made, but would feel more comfortable if the refurb had included some engine overhaul. I mean, this is a '73 tractor. How long do these old Kohler engines go without needing at least some minor work? He says it was his Dad's, but doesn't seem to know much history on it. Also claims, when I asked, that it doesn't seem to burn oil. I get the feeling he doesn't really know all that much about it.

Thank you for any advice.

Does not surprise me that no major engine work was done. Could be a lower time unit that was just really well cared for. Not sure I would pay that much for it. There are cheaper ones to be had out there. Maybe not freshly painted but I would that no one has been into.

DoubleO7 08-06-2018 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperino (Post 462838)
There are cheaper ones to be had out there. Maybe not freshly painted but I would that no one has been into.

Cub Cadets are not rare enough in PA for that price in that condition.

Alvy 08-06-2018 10:18 AM

Asking price is about twice what it needs to be. I’m seeing implement handle missing, paint looks decent but yes, I would keep looking

cooperino 08-06-2018 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleO7 (Post 462842)
Cub Cadets are not rare enough in PA for that price in that condition.

LOL.. I know.. My response had a typo. Meant to say.

There are cheaper ones to be had out there. Maybe not freshly painted but I would NOT want one that someone has been into it.......

froggy15 08-06-2018 11:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys. For my part, I'd like more detail on what "mostly fully refurbished" really means, but since it was his Dad's I suspect he has no true idea of what was done to it other than the things he mentioned.

Just came across another 129 even closer to me...this guy wants $475. Here is his info: "Basically I bought this tractor a few months ago. I was told the person I bought it from was the original owner. I put a battery in it and bought a key for the ignition. I've stored it inside since I've owned it. The front tires only hold air for a day or 2. Its starts easily and the engine sounds smooth. The deck is in good shape with some very minor surface rust. Everything sounds good and looks good with the deck running. I was told it was regularly maintained. You are welcome to come and look it over for yourself. It seems like it was taken care of but I only can say for sure what I did to it."

Might this one be worth looking at instead? Guess it's easy to be more drawn to a machine that looks real good in the ad. This guy also really has no idea what's going on with the internals, especially not having owned it very long.

Forgot to add that...on the first deal...said he'd include delivery for that price.

cooperino 08-06-2018 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by froggy15 (Post 462851)
Thanks guys. For my part, I'd like more detail on what "mostly fully refurbished" really means, but since it was his Dad's I suspect he has no true idea of what was done to it other than the things he mentioned.

Just came across another 129 even closer to me...this guy wants $475. Here is his info: "Basically I bought this tractor a few months ago. I was told the person I bought it from was the original owner. I put a battery in it and bought a key for the ignition. I've stored it inside since I've owned it. The front tires only hold air for a day or 2. Its starts easily and the engine sounds smooth. The deck is in good shape with some very minor surface rust. Everything sounds good and looks good with the deck running. I was told it was regularly maintained. You are welcome to come and look it over for yourself. It seems like it was taken care of but I only can say for sure what I did to it."

Might this one be worth looking at instead? Guess it's easy to be more drawn to a machine that looks real good in the ad. This guy also really has no idea what's going on with the internals, especially not having owned it very long.

Forgot to add that...on the first deal...said he'd include delivery for that price.

Ok. The second one. I buy them like that for around 150$ to 250$

cooperino 08-06-2018 11:47 AM

Oh btw! Welcome to occ!

cooperino 08-06-2018 11:55 AM

In my opinion. If your going to spend 400,500$ and maybe a little more. I would want most bang for the buck.. I want a deck, a blade, a snowblower, chains, weights, etc.

Not sure where in PA you are. Heres one close to Philly
I bet you could get this one for $500

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/...662730498.html

DoubleO7 08-06-2018 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperino (Post 462856)
In my opinion. If your going to spend 400,500$ and maybe a little more. I would want most bang for the buck.. I want a deck, a blade, a snowblower, chains, weights, etc.

Not sure where in PA you are. Heres one close to Philly
I bet you could get this one for $500

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/...662730498.html

That one looks like it might have a received a replacement engine (being black) at some point.
It might even be a 12hp since they seem to be a much more popular size replacement vs a 10hp.
If it is in deed still 10hp, the thrower is likely the 36" wide model.