Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Talk (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Cub cadet 100 and Overseas Carb (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52556)

Rocking416 06-23-2018 05:00 PM

Cub cadet 100 and Overseas Carb

So i purchased a Cub cadet 100 ( Barn find ) Super awesome tractor.
I removed the carburetor and found that it needed a new float and overhaul. I opted to just get a new $38.99 Carburetor. What a mistake.

I bolted it on and it ran like CRAP it would run okay than cut out. Or it would only run on choke. I played with the adjustments. Same thing!

So i was going to take parts from the new carburetor and use them on my old Kohler carburetor that was originally on the machine.

What do i find.. a float out of adjustment not allowing enough fuel for the engine to run. I adjusted the float so it was level and it ran perfect afterwards.

I have always been suspicious of these cheap overseas carburetors. No quality control and they use inferior metals that do not last. If you leave fuel in them they begin to flake and the metal breaks down.

J-Mech 06-23-2018 05:47 PM

The old carbs do the same thing. Nothing new. Has nothing to do with "inferior metal". So the float was out of adjustment. Big deal. It came on a boat over the ocean. I'm sure it got beat around along the way. Guys have been buying quite a few of these things and having good luck with them. You are the first to complain. Don Vogt took one apart and compared it to the OEM carbs. He said there wasn't much of a difference, if any at all. I figured you were going to say that you didn't clean out the fuel system and it plugged up. Hope you flushed the tank and put new fuel line on it. (If it has rubber line.)

I always just rebuild the old carbs. They're easy to rebuild.

Alvy 06-23-2018 05:58 PM

I just put a chinesium carb on my latest O and I’m not impressed either but it was cheap so it’s my fault. Plastic float not adjusted either, no big deal but after removing the bowl the o ring and bowl gasket swelled so bad I couldn’t reuse them. Then the throttle linkage hole for the rod that goes to the governor arm wasn’t big enough so I had to redrill to accept link. Also carb holes that mount the oil bath are tapped to metric and not standard machine thread (thinking #8) so I’ll have to retap or buy new screws.

Again none of this a big deal for me but like Jon I will always rebuild a Kohler, walbro, whatever carb first. Chinesium carb came with purchase of this O as the original carb was lost. Should have just bought used carb and rebuilt oh well I’ve seen others on here that are a fan of them but sharing what I’ve seen .

Billy-O 06-23-2018 10:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Did your carburetor come on this boat?

Attachment 93768

:biggrin2:

Shotgun Clay 06-24-2018 12:05 PM

I had purchased a $25 ish chinese carb and it works perfectly. It had high reviews and had all of the adjustible jets and float. Starts with little or no choke.

Cub Cadet 123 06-24-2018 11:02 PM

YIKES!! I just bought a $14.33 China Cawbewator for my newly purchased 1450 (haven't picked up yet) and that price included shipping. I have high hopes and expectations for all of the money I have wrapped up in that carb!!! We'll see...…..but after reading these reviews, I am concerned about my investment.

Cub Cadet 123

olds45512 06-24-2018 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cub Cadet 123 (Post 458077)
YIKES!! I just bought a $14.33 China Cawbewator for my newly purchased 1450 (haven't picked up yet) and that price included shipping. I have high hopes and expectations for all of the money I have wrapped up in that carb!!! We'll see...…..but after reading these reviews, I am concerned about my investment.

Cub Cadet 123

I bought two of those $15 dollar carbs off eBay and they both work fine.

DoubleO7 06-25-2018 11:36 AM

I would highly recommend using non-ethanol gas.
The first cheapo-from-china carb got ate up inside from the waterlogged ethanol. But that was when there were only a few vendors and they were priced at $45+.
In my experience genuine Kohler carbs seem to not corrode from ethanoled fuel as fast.
Maybe the Kohler carbs are anodized and the cheapo's are not, dunno.

finsruskw 06-25-2018 12:05 PM

You consider $14.33 an investment!!??

Rocking416 06-25-2018 06:07 PM

They are worth the money. But the problem i have has with them is Choke and throttle linkage working correctly as they are not exactly OEM replacement. If you do have to replace the choke arm make sure you watch the detent ball and spring when you un due the choke the choke plate.

Long and short of it . OKAY carburetors but they are throw a way's you do not rebuild them EVER!