Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT) (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Intermitent voltage to pos. terminal coil 149 (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51501)

Mr Bob 03-13-2018 09:46 AM

Intermitent voltage to pos. terminal coil 149

I am almost ready to put my rebuilt engine back in my 149 tractor. Before I do, I need to fix a electrical problem. Battery has 12.7 volt between terminals. When I turn ign. switch to ign., it has 12.7 at end of black wire going to pos. coil. When I turn key to start and hold it there, the meter will some times show 12.7 volt and then it shows .1 volt at black wire going to pos. coil. I have studied the wiring diagram till I am blue in the face. I can't figure how the voltage gets to the black wire to pos. coil in the start position. I don't think I need to tell you I don't know much about this. I am sure you have figured it out by now. All help will be appreciated from you members in the know. Thanks and have a great day
Bob

mickb72 03-13-2018 10:17 AM

I'm guessing he's going from ing to start position and losing volts. Bad key switch. Did i ever say i hate key switches, old ones are even worse. Mike:biggrin2:

ironman 03-13-2018 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Bob (Post 448173)
I am almost ready to put my rebuilt engine back in my 149 tractor. Before I do, I need to fix a electrical problem. Battery has 12.7 volt between terminals. When I turn ign. switch to ign., it has 12.7 at end of black wire going to pos. coil. When I turn key to start and hold it there, the meter will some times show 12.7 volt and then it shows .1 volt at black wire going to pos. coil. I have studied the wiring diagram till I am blue in the face. I can't figure how the voltage gets to the black wire to pos. coil in the start position. I don't think I need to tell you I don't know much about this. I am sure you have figured it out by now. All help will be appreciated from you members in the know. Thanks and have a great day
Bob

You should always have the same voltage as your battery reading on the lead that goes to the positive pole of your coil in BOTH the start and run positions of the key. Two exceptions would be....
1. You have a bad key switch or....
2. You have the engine installed, the lead is hooked up to the positive pole of your coil and your points happen to be closed. In this case, the points are applying a ground seen through the coil therefore your voltage reading disappears. You should see battery voltage when the points are open.

ol'George 03-13-2018 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironman (Post 448181)
You should always have the same voltage as your battery reading on the lead that goes to the positive pole of your coil in BOTH the start and run positions of the key. Two exceptions would be....
1. You have a bad key switch or....
2. You have the engine installed, the lead is hooked up to the positive pole of your coil and your points happen to be closed. In this case, the points are applying a ground seen through the coil therefore your voltage reading disappears. You should see battery voltage when the points are open.

:IH Trusted Hand:

Mr Bob 03-13-2018 04:36 PM

149 Ign. Switch

Took the ign. switch off from the dash. Thought I had bought a Indak switch when I bought it new about 3 years ago. Looks like I have a cheap one as it does not say Indak any where on it. Where do you buy you ign. switches. Cub Cadet has them for $50 plus shipping. The three wire harness (New) felt a little loose when I pulled it off the switch. Going to garage and see if I can tighten it up a little and see if it makes any difference. Thanks for your help.
Bob

jbrewer 03-13-2018 09:42 PM

switch

The ignition switch itself is responsible for providing the voltage from the battery to BOTH the starter solenoid AND the black wire to the + side of the coil while in the cranking position. You can test this with a voltmeter but that's the way its designed to work

+12 needs to be at the coil during the run position, and in the crank position. It's removed of course when the key is in the off position.

John

J-Mech 03-13-2018 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Bob (Post 448216)
Took the ign. switch off from the dash. Thought I had bought a Indak switch when I bought it new about 3 years ago. Looks like I have a cheap one as it does not say Indak any where on it. Where do you buy you ign. switches. Cub Cadet has them for $50 plus shipping. The three wire harness (New) felt a little loose when I pulled it off the switch. Going to garage and see if I can tighten it up a little and see if it makes any difference. Thanks for your help.
Bob

Wanna know a secret? Indak is pretty much a cheap switch.

You can buy ignition switches at a lot of places. TSC, CCC, Ebay, auto part stores.... just make sure you get the correct one for your tractor. That's the important part.