Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Restoration Tips (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Dust cyclone (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51623)

Vrobert 03-26-2018 11:42 AM

Dust cyclone

3 Attachment(s)
I have been working on a sandblasting cabinet and a 60 gallon compressor to do some restoration blasting. The cabinet needs a vacuum attached to collect the blasted debris which keeps the media cleaner and improves visibility while blasting. A friend has a similar blasting setup and he purchased a Dust Deputy to keep his shop vac filter from clogging. The Dust deputy works great but it's about $60 and its big and top heavy when mounted on a 5 gallon bucket. I decided to buy a Chinese cast aluminum copy that mounts inside a 1 or 5 gallon bucket rather than on top. It fits the smaller 1 1/8" vacuum hose (sort of). The tubes on the cyclone are 1" OD but I had a few extra hose extension pieces that I cut up and attached to it.

Preliminary review is good. I blasted a small rusty bracket and the bucket collected a handful of fine rusty dust. These aluminum cyclones are only about 7" tall and cost around $22 on ebay. Compare my one gallon setup to the 5 gallon Dust Deputy. For woodworking the larger setup would be necessary because sawdust would fill that bucket pretty quick but sandblasting a few small items each week wont generate that much volume.

CADplans 03-26-2018 11:50 AM

I purchased the dust deputy,,, and, I am SHOCKED how much vacuum is lost due to it.

Yes, it removes the dust, but, about half the suction power is used removing the dirt.

For specific things, sanding, etc,, it is great.
sweeping the dirty shop takes forever, because of the lost vacuum.

The vacuum is not lost due to leaks,, the vacuum simply has half the velocity at the pickup point.

Part of the problem is all the extra hose,,,

MikeMasheris 03-26-2018 12:00 PM

Looks like a small turbo housing?

finsruskw 03-26-2018 12:29 PM

You would be surprised at how much quicker a rusted part will clean up in your blaster if you soak it in vinegar for a day or so.

Try it!

john hall 03-26-2018 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CADplans (Post 449160)
I purchased the dust deputy,,, and, I am SHOCKED how much vacuum is lost due to it.

Yes, it removes the dust, but, about half the suction power is used removing the dirt.

For specific things, sanding, etc,, it is great.
sweeping the dirty shop takes forever, because of the lost vacuum.

You SWEEP your shop floor??? I thought that's what leaf blowers are for.:biggrin2:

CADplans 03-26-2018 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john hall (Post 449218)
You SWEEP your shop floor??? I thought that's what leaf blowers are for.:biggrin2:

I had the vortex, I had to try it out,,,
THEN out came the Stihl BR600,,,, :biggrin2: