Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Home Made (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Lime spreader project (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59706)

Tim.E 03-04-2022 01:34 PM

Lime spreader project

13 Attachment(s)
I have built a somewhat useable lime spreader. I built it to hopefully spread AG lime. My neighbor got a load of lime delivered,so I got some lime from him. I first tried to spread the lime when it was wet,as in the pile had been rained on recently. This failed. So, I got about a ton of lime from him on a trailer,and covered it when it was going to rain and uncovered it when there was no rain forecasted. After about 3 weeks of covering,uncovering and stirring,it was pretty dry today.So,I tried again. It did work with the dry lime.If anything it put out TOO much.It comes out in lines or rows.so I will have to drag something to scatter it out more evenly.Oh well,more tractor time. I think it will hold about 1/2 ton of lime. My land is not too hilly,some flat.I do realize that I shouldn't go down hills with 1/2 ton of lime behind me.
I plan to have a 20 ton load of lime delivered. I will have to cover/uncover it according to the weather,and shovel (yes,shovel) it off the top as it dries.
I may get done with this by November or December. :biggrin2:But,hey it's just another chance to use my little tractor.
The trailer transports in the normal position,then I tilt it to spread.I put sheet metal in the bottom so the lime will slide out better. The paddle to push it out is obviously ground driven.
My neighbor says I do the things the hard way. That is usually true,but I do git'er done.:bigthink:

Farmall450 03-04-2022 03:04 PM

Interesting build. A gravity drop spreader.

I've always liked broadcast to get a larger area quicker, but some folk still buy drop spreaders in the stores.

Steve N Mi 03-05-2022 12:09 AM

Lime can be difficult to spread. It will bridge and cake and anything else that is problematic to uniform coverage.

I like the neatness of your build! Nicely done.

How wide is the spreader roll? What is the block on the front of the trailer above the tongue, maybe a mount for a winch?

Tim.E 03-05-2022 12:54 AM

Thanks,Guys.
Steve,The spreader is 40"wide,that is the size that the trailer was,obviously this is a modified trailer. The whitish block on the front is a counter weight,as are the 2 black counterweights on the tongue. the rear of the trailer got heavy with all that stuff hanging on it,so I had to counter weight the front to balance it out.

finsruskw 03-05-2022 08:40 AM

Is the product dry?
If so, it will easily spread/sling with a square nosed shovel if you know the technique.

Been there done that back in the day as a teen when I worked with a sealcoat contractor.

Looks like from your pictures you are just making more work what with all the stockpiles all over the place.

West Valley G 03-05-2022 08:51 AM

Having never spread lime, as it would just make the acid problems bigger then
we already have here. I am wondering if the problem is bridging and caking,
as was mentioned. If a person could mix something in with the lime to help
loosen it up. Corn meal, diatomaceous earth? We do this when we have
troubles with peas and such. It may not be cost effective or even work but
just thinking out of the box a bit. Good luck and real nice job on the trailer.

Ken

Farmall450 03-05-2022 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Valley G (Post 515975)
Having never spread lime, as it would just make the acid problems bigger then
we already have here. I am wondering if the problem is bridging and caking,
as was mentioned. If a person could mix something in with the lime to help
loosen it up. Corn meal, diatomaceous earth? We do this when we have
troubles with peas and such. It may not be cost effective or even work but
just thinking out of the box a bit. Good luck and real nice job on the trailer.

Ken

Is your ground alkali? That would be a strange problem to have here, but the stores do sell gypsum.

darkminion_17 03-05-2022 11:01 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Get two of these and make a offset for the other. As for the caking make a shaker that is actuated by the wheels turning.

finsruskw 03-05-2022 05:23 PM

My neighbor tried that once w/lime in a drop spreader like that that;s made for grass and fertilizer.
There were small rocks mixed it with the stuff and he ruined the spreader.

darkminion_17 03-05-2022 05:48 PM

How do rocks get in there? are they in the bag?