Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   What is it worth ? (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Good buy or not (for the price)? (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53018)

froggy15 08-06-2018 09:50 AM

Good buy or not (for the price)?

2 Attachment(s)
Hi,

Came across this ad for a 129 on Craigslist. Asking $1100. Owner says the following: "Mostly refurbished over the winter 2016/2017 ,lots of new parts. Nothing was done to the engine, it runs great! No oil or trans leaks. All fluids were changed. There is no play in the front and steering was tightened up. The deck is in good shape also refurbished with new belt and extra set of blades. It has new amp meter and lamps but the lights dont work? Rear tires are showing dryrot but hold air."

Probably worth looking at it - only about an hour from me. I've heard that these old IH tractors are very well made, but would feel more comfortable if the refurb had included some engine overhaul. I mean, this is a '73 tractor. How long do these old Kohler engines go without needing at least some minor work? Mentions nothing about the transmission either. He says it was his Dad's, but doesn't seem to know much history on it. Also claims, when I asked, that it doesn't seem to burn oil. I get the feeling he doesn't really know all that much about it.

Thank you for any advice.

cooperino 08-06-2018 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by froggy15 (Post 462837)
Hi,

Came across this on Craigslist. Asking $1100. Owner says the following: "Mostly refurbished over the winter 2016/2017 ,lots of new parts. Nothing was done to the engine, it runs great! No oil or trans leaks. All fluids were changed. There is no play in the front and steering was tightened up. The deck is in good shape also refurbished with new belt and extra set of blades. It has new amp meter and lamps but the lights dont work? Rear tires are showing dryrot but hold air."

Probably worth looking at it - only about an hour from me. I've heard that these old IH tractors are very well made, but would feel more comfortable if the refurb had included some engine overhaul. I mean, this is a '73 tractor. How long do these old Kohler engines go without needing at least some minor work? He says it was his Dad's, but doesn't seem to know much history on it. Also claims, when I asked, that it doesn't seem to burn oil. I get the feeling he doesn't really know all that much about it.

Thank you for any advice.

Does not surprise me that no major engine work was done. Could be a lower time unit that was just really well cared for. Not sure I would pay that much for it. There are cheaper ones to be had out there. Maybe not freshly painted but I would that no one has been into.

DoubleO7 08-06-2018 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperino (Post 462838)
There are cheaper ones to be had out there. Maybe not freshly painted but I would that no one has been into.

Cub Cadets are not rare enough in PA for that price in that condition.

Alvy 08-06-2018 10:18 AM

Asking price is about twice what it needs to be. I’m seeing implement handle missing, paint looks decent but yes, I would keep looking

cooperino 08-06-2018 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleO7 (Post 462842)
Cub Cadets are not rare enough in PA for that price in that condition.

LOL.. I know.. My response had a typo. Meant to say.

There are cheaper ones to be had out there. Maybe not freshly painted but I would NOT want one that someone has been into it.......

froggy15 08-06-2018 11:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys. For my part, I'd like more detail on what "mostly fully refurbished" really means, but since it was his Dad's I suspect he has no true idea of what was done to it other than the things he mentioned.

Just came across another 129 even closer to me...this guy wants $475. Here is his info: "Basically I bought this tractor a few months ago. I was told the person I bought it from was the original owner. I put a battery in it and bought a key for the ignition. I've stored it inside since I've owned it. The front tires only hold air for a day or 2. Its starts easily and the engine sounds smooth. The deck is in good shape with some very minor surface rust. Everything sounds good and looks good with the deck running. I was told it was regularly maintained. You are welcome to come and look it over for yourself. It seems like it was taken care of but I only can say for sure what I did to it."

Might this one be worth looking at instead? Guess it's easy to be more drawn to a machine that looks real good in the ad. This guy also really has no idea what's going on with the internals, especially not having owned it very long.

Forgot to add that...on the first deal...said he'd include delivery for that price.

cooperino 08-06-2018 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by froggy15 (Post 462851)
Thanks guys. For my part, I'd like more detail on what "mostly fully refurbished" really means, but since it was his Dad's I suspect he has no true idea of what was done to it other than the things he mentioned.

Just came across another 129 even closer to me...this guy wants $475. Here is his info: "Basically I bought this tractor a few months ago. I was told the person I bought it from was the original owner. I put a battery in it and bought a key for the ignition. I've stored it inside since I've owned it. The front tires only hold air for a day or 2. Its starts easily and the engine sounds smooth. The deck is in good shape with some very minor surface rust. Everything sounds good and looks good with the deck running. I was told it was regularly maintained. You are welcome to come and look it over for yourself. It seems like it was taken care of but I only can say for sure what I did to it."

Might this one be worth looking at instead? Guess it's easy to be more drawn to a machine that looks real good in the ad. This guy also really has no idea what's going on with the internals, especially not having owned it very long.

Forgot to add that...on the first deal...said he'd include delivery for that price.

Ok. The second one. I buy them like that for around 150$ to 250$

cooperino 08-06-2018 11:47 AM

Oh btw! Welcome to occ!

cooperino 08-06-2018 11:55 AM

In my opinion. If your going to spend 400,500$ and maybe a little more. I would want most bang for the buck.. I want a deck, a blade, a snowblower, chains, weights, etc.

Not sure where in PA you are. Heres one close to Philly
I bet you could get this one for $500

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/...662730498.html

DoubleO7 08-06-2018 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperino (Post 462856)
In my opinion. If your going to spend 400,500$ and maybe a little more. I would want most bang for the buck.. I want a deck, a blade, a snowblower, chains, weights, etc.

Not sure where in PA you are. Heres one close to Philly
I bet you could get this one for $500

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/...662730498.html

That one looks like it might have a received a replacement engine (being black) at some point.
It might even be a 12hp since they seem to be a much more popular size replacement vs a 10hp.
If it is in deed still 10hp, the thrower is likely the 36" wide model.

cooperino 08-06-2018 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleO7 (Post 462862)
That one looks like it might have a received a replacement engine (being black) at some point.
It might even be a 12hp since they seem to be a much more popular size replacement vs a 10hp.
If it is in deed still 10hp, the thrower is likely the 36" wide model.

Yeah, Maybe not the best example for what I was trying to convey.. But the guys in PA have a bunch of options when it comes to Cubs. :bigthink: I may have to go spend a weekend at my sisters and do some shopping. The 24' trailer should come with me:beerchug:

cooperino 08-06-2018 12:21 PM

Now this ad was right next to the 129 ad.. I like this one for the money!

https://lancaster.craigslist.org/grd...637270950.html

froggy15 08-06-2018 12:40 PM

There are also a bunch of newer Cubs listed with only several hundred hours on them. Unfortunately I've heard that the post-MTD version of the Cub is not of the same quality (?) No idea if that is true or not. Heard it from lots of different people though.

cooperino 08-06-2018 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by froggy15 (Post 462871)
There are also a bunch of newer Cubs listed with only several hundred hours on them. Unfortunately I've heard that the post-MTD version of the Cub is not of the same quality (?) No idea if that is true or not. Heard it from lots of different people though.

What you have heard is 100% true. Plus they are really just lawn mowers unless you spend a lot of money. Get an old one.. THEY ARE GREAT!!!!

J-Mech 08-06-2018 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperino (Post 462864)
Now this ad was right next to the 129 ad.. I like this one for the money!

https://lancaster.craigslist.org/grd...637270950.html

That one looks, and sounds, like a wore out tractor for too much money. The second one the op posted looks like the best deal.

cooperino 08-06-2018 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Mech (Post 462875)
That one looks, and sounds, like a wore out tractor for too much money. The second one the op posted looks like the best deal.

I would agree however I think I would rather have the 149 for less money. Seems like some of the ugly ones tend to run best LOL.. Plus it gives ya more "play time" in the garage! And that's always fun :biggrin2:

I may just be partial to the 147 because I don't have one yet :bigthink:

J-Mech 08-06-2018 01:04 PM

I'm not a narrow frame guy. Oh, there's nothing wrong with them, but I gravitate to the spread frame tractors. Wide frames and spread frames can share attachments.

cooperino 08-06-2018 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Mech (Post 462880)
I'm not a narrow frame guy. Oh, there's nothing wrong with them, but I gravitate to the spread frame tractors. Wide frames and spread frames can share attachments.

That's true. I have seen a lot more wide frame attachments for sale vs narrow frame. I love my 126 but I find myself on one of the 129's most often.

froggy15 08-06-2018 01:22 PM

Well, I can tell you guys know alot about these different models! Appreciate the advice. Might as well at least check out the one closest to me.

cooperino 08-06-2018 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by froggy15 (Post 462883)
Well, I can tell you guys know alot about these different models! Appreciate the advice. Might as well at least check out the one closest to me.

If your talking about the second one with the brown seat... Don't be afraid to try and low ball him some. He was asking like 475$. Hit him with 2 or 300$ if you like it.

froggy15 08-06-2018 01:28 PM

Good idea. I've never been the kind to haggle over price, but probably worth it. The guy did say that he really wants to sell it and so the price is negotiable.

darkminion_17 08-06-2018 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alvy (Post 462843)
Asking price is about twice what it needs to be. I’m seeing implement handle missing, paint looks decent but yes, I would keep looking

It is possible it has an electric lift setup.

Have you had any experience with these old tractors?

finsruskw 08-06-2018 09:12 PM

Yes, I believe it is possible, but if it does, it is hidden behind the filler panel.
Can't tell from the pictures.
Pop the hood and you should be able to tell.
I'm pretty sure it will actuate the rock shaft in the same place as the std. hydro lift like the quiet lines would if it had one.

froggy15 08-07-2018 11:57 AM

Just noticed that the ad for the $1100 tractor says it comes with a 48" deck. Would that be right? I've been reading that there are several size decks that work with this tractor.

cooperino 08-07-2018 12:02 PM

I think they came with 38,44 or 50. That's not to say someone didn't put a 48 on it tho. And really not a problem if they did. You really like that one huh?

froggy15 08-07-2018 01:09 PM

Well, I guess it's like friends of mine who are eBay sellers often say...appearance means alot when you're trying to sell something. So I guess, yeah, I'm sort of drawn to it, but need to keep in mind that the new paint and decals means nothing in terms of what's going on under the hood. I'm a bit concerned that the owner seems to really have little clue what his Dad did to it. Doesn't even seem to know what all these "new parts" are that were put on. And, as has been said here, the price is rather high. I do like that he will deliver since I have no means to transport it. Still waiting to hear back from the guy in Denver who is listing his for $475. I get the feeling he'd sell it for less. But, again, he seems to know very little about it..hasn't had it long. If his is local pick-up only, then I'll probably rule it out.

cooperino 08-07-2018 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by froggy15 (Post 462995)
Well, I guess it's like friends of mine who are eBay sellers often say...appearance means alot when you're trying to sell something. So I guess, yeah, I'm sort of drawn to it, but need to keep in mind that the new paint and decals means nothing in terms of what's going on under the hood. I'm a bit concerned that the owner seems to really have little clue what his Dad did to it. Doesn't even seem to know what all these "new parts" are that were put on. And, as has been said here, the price is rather high.

Well. I can tell you this. Unless he comes down to planet earth and asks a lot less he will sit on it for a long time. How handy are you? Refurb one yourself possible? Someone here should have warned you by now.. No matter what cub you buy, soon you will want another. They are kinda like potato chips. Can't just have one. So when you buy your second one, the first one can get laid up for refurb! See.. Problem solved LOL :beerchug:

froggy15 08-07-2018 04:16 PM

Maybe the owner feels that with the way the exterior looks, that it justifies the asking price. Doubtful that he has any prior experience selling one of these. And, from looking around Craigslist, the prices are all over the place, so if I were in his position I'm not sure how I'd arrive at a fair price. Gotta figure in the amount of time required to get it to look like that plus whatever else he did to it....the guys here on the forum would know alot more about that sort of thing than I do. I'm pretty handy mechanically, but have never refurbed a tractor. If I buy one of these, just what am I getting into? My hopes would be that it would run for at least several years without requiring too much work (?)

froggy15 08-07-2018 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperino (Post 462996)
Well. I can tell you this. Unless he comes down to planet earth and asks a lot less he will sit on it for a long time. How handy are you? Refurb one yourself possible? Someone here should have warned you by now.. No matter what cub you buy, soon you will want another. They are kinda like potato chips. Can't just have one. So when you buy your second one, the first one can get laid up for refurb! See.. Problem solved LOL :beerchug:

...unless when I see it I decide I want it....would probably make him a lower offer on it though based on the advice given here. Heck, it's only money..."can't take it with ya" as the saying goes.

DoubleO7 08-07-2018 10:02 PM

White Falcon returns ?

:bigthink:

J-Mech 08-07-2018 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleO7 (Post 463065)
White Falcon returns ?

:bigthink:

I also made that assumption earlier today..... I was looking this thread up to post the same thing. Something awfully familiar here.... :bigthink: