Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT) (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   147 rear lift lever - broken.... (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59265)

ATernus 09-13-2021 04:37 PM

147 rear lift lever - broken....

1 Attachment(s)
I will not deny the fact that the 147 was being abused at the time, but is it common for the cast lift lever to break? Or did I just beat it up worse than people normally do?
I'm used to having big toy options available on our construction sites, and trying to make the little loader do too much at home with the box blade on it.
I have 80lb of suitcase weights hanging on the sleeve hitch, and its a standard Brinly box blade with the option of putting a cinder block on it, but I have 72lb of steel flat weights in its place. They came from a zero turn mower front weight kit to offset the rear bagger. I don't believe the weight was the problem, and I was grading out an area for retaining wall extension and a set of future stairs along side of it. Transitioning from steep hill to valley many times and almost having it resting on front wheels, and box blade only, with one or barely both rear wheels touching the ground. Will say I could cut a hell of a lot of material in a hurry though... Found one quick on ebay last night to get me back up quickly. Also going to weld the old one up as a spare, and may fabricate one following the plans that Adam had made in the past. When I can find the time..... I have an excavator rented for next weekend for this project and another, so the 147 can watch from the sideline and be free from further harm.

IHinIN 09-14-2021 07:46 PM

I broke mine on my 100, hence the fabricated piece and the drawings. I believe I was attempting to gently yank out a broken T-post with a chain around the sleeve hitch adapter when mine broke.

R Bedell 09-15-2021 06:37 AM

Time to look for a good used replacement.

Billy-O 09-15-2021 08:48 AM

Good thing the cast iron lift breaks rather than anything else on the tractor.

finsruskw 09-15-2021 08:59 AM

"gently yank"???

IHinIN 09-15-2021 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finsruskw (Post 512568)
"gently yank"???

I doubt I’m the only person to occasionally perform a durability test. It broke way easier than I thought it would.

ATernus 09-15-2021 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHinIN (Post 512578)
I doubt I’m the only person to occasionally perform a durability test. It broke way easier than I thought it would.

That is exactly what happened. It was a durability test. Ya. That’s it.
While it’s down and have everything off the back, ordered a gasket for the gear box cover and going to change the filter, drain, clean, refill and see what the insides of this thing look like. Probably should’ve done that right away, but she’s ran strong since I got her fired up a year ago.
And don’t tell my wife, but I have a line on another 147 I’m going to pick up. Clean but currently non-running, so I’ll rob the grill from, and pull off all the sheet metal and rims and such, and get it cleaned up and ready for paint so this one will be down for a shorter time when restofab happens. And spare parts for a 50 year old tractor is a good thing.