Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   The Tool Shed (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Shop press build (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58833)

IHinIN 06-02-2021 09:02 PM

Shop press build

2 Attachment(s)
I’ve been wanting to buy or build a hydraulic shop press for years. I recently came across some free 5” channel iron from a machine skid that was being scrapped at work. It was the perfect size for a 20 ton press. I also got some free 2” angle iron for the base. I added a winch for raising and lowering the bed. Instead of the usual bottle jack like most shop presses use, I went with a 20 ton x 4” stroke cylinder and an air-over-oil 10,000psi pump. The cylinder is mounted on a trolley for the rare occasions when a part can’t be centered in the press. The ram has a reversible tool that’s 2” on one end and 1” on the other. I also made several ram tools with dowel pins: 5/16”, 3/8”, 1/2”, 5/8”, & 3/4”. The one side was intentionally left hanging out because I plan to build a manual arbor press there. And of course it’s painted IH red.

clay1811/44c 06-02-2021 09:17 PM

Nice work, should come in handy.

Ambush 06-02-2021 09:41 PM

Very nice build and a very handy tool! Its amazing the iron work that becomes possible when you have a capable press and some tooling.

Sure saves a lot of work and damaged parts from the BFH episodes.

SGragg 06-08-2021 01:42 PM

Great job on the press. I particularly like the hydraulic cylinder and the wheels for mobility. Great idea!

And, of course, it's made in the :American Flag 1:

IHinIN 06-08-2021 06:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys!

I plan to build a finger brake for the press similar to this.

john hall 06-13-2021 08:57 AM

You need a storage rack on the other side to counter the weight of the arbor press!! Seriously, a storage rack for all the plates and push blocks would be handy, amazing what tends to accumulate with these, and I still have to turn something down quite often.

Oak 06-13-2021 09:54 AM

Great job as always Adam. Where did you get the cylinder & pump at? I have one of those cheap China made jobbies that was given to me but I like yours much better.

IHinIN 06-13-2021 06:38 PM

John,
I added the shelf on the left side to hold tooling as well as the pump when it’s not being used. I have a 50 cal ammo box there now for the smaller tooling. I’m waiting on a guy to burn out a couple of arbor plates. I plan to add a jack or a fifth caster under the tooling shelf for support when using the arbor press.

Oak,
I found the cylinder and pump on Amazon. Also had to buy an 8 ft hose since the pump comes with only a 5 ft hose. The pump is a Temco brand. It has a 5yr warranty for just a little more $ than the generic no-name pumps. Their 20T x 4” cyl was out of stock so the one I got is a Hydrafore brand I believe. I had to change the fitting on the cylinder because it wasn’t the same size as the one on the hose. Luckily the pump came with the fitting I needed.

Getter-Done 06-13-2021 10:38 PM

IHinIN
Thanks for sharing your idea's.

I have a Press,
I got as a Birthday Present years ago.
It has served me well.
Other-wise saying,
I have made due with it.
I have always made a list of improvements,
That I would like to do as I have seen video's or post in forums.

I will add the Ammo box to my list.

Thanks to You IHinIN

Finger Brake is on my list also.
One similar to S W A G.
You have (Nailed It) in one package.:beerchug:

I like the Arbor press addition.

Here is one of the idea's I will share that I will do to mine.

This is for the stability for the Arbor Press.

I know this is for a Bridgeport mill but the concept will
work for this, and raise the casters off the floor.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sPyBSq8Sj8&t=227s

Hope this helps:Wave: