Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT) (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   PTO switch (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53684)

Cannon51 10-25-2018 09:48 AM

PTO switch

1 Attachment(s)
I used Google to find this drawing of the 725-0893 switch that Roland posted.
I'm having trouble getting the starter to engage on my 1863 even with a charged battery. I'm going to try to clean all the connections in the start circuit. I assume that C and D are the start path through the switch. Also, will the switch function with without anything on the F terminal or is it necessary to have power (?) on it to hold the switch on?
Cannon

R Bedell 10-25-2018 10:05 AM

Quote:

will the switch function with without anything on the F terminal or is it necessary to have power (?) on it to hold the switch on?
To start the tractor, the PTO switch must be in the "off" position which makes contacts through C & D.

The "F" terminal is a "temporary" power source to engage the "reverse relay" which will turn the PTO on.

Terry C 10-25-2018 06:28 PM

Try this:
https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/...ad.php?t=38545

Cannon51 12-06-2018 12:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I finely got around to ordering a MM510 wiring kit for the 1863. The threads I have read on this installation always say that #85 is the ground but the package the kit came in shows #86 as the ground. I wired it like the kit said, hit the switch and got a small flash that blew the 15 amp fuse. I didn't have any of the mini fuses so I made a new power wire with a regular size fuse holder and made #85 the ground. It's working now with a 20 amp fuse. I think the kit was only $7 and change so I can't be to critical of it but the wires are small gauge and to long. I shortened the wires and mounted the relay to the shroud bolt behind the starter. I still need to straighten the wires up with some with zip ties but at least I don't have to turn the key 10 times to get the starter to engage. thanks
Cannon

Cannon51 12-06-2018 01:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Better picture taken with a camera instead of a cheap cell phone. If anyone sees anything obviously wrong let me know. I had to take the relay out in the sun so I could see the numbers and write them bigger on the side.
Cannon

swacor 12-07-2018 11:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannon51 (Post 473306)
Better picture taken with a camera instead of a cheap cell phone. If anyone sees anything obviously wrong let me know. I had to take the relay out in the sun so I could see the numbers and write them bigger on the side.
Cannon

Heres mine the black is ground

FrankF3 12-09-2018 11:37 AM

I had the same problem on my 1572 and 1772. It drove me nuts for the longest time. The PTO switch was losing the connection between terminals C & D. While that alone should be easy to find, it really wasn't when you consider that when I put my meter on it to check it out, the connection would be re-established. I got a set of small alligator leads clipped to the C & D connections them when it happened again, I could see what was going on without disturbing the area. A new switch took care of all those start problems.

GregR 12-09-2018 10:53 PM

Diagram

I need to replace the PTO switch on my 1864 and wondered what the internal workings looked like. Your diagram is one of the best I have seen.

Thanks, Greg

nitsuj 05-05-2019 02:10 AM

I know this is an old thread, but its full of good info, so I figured I'd ask my question here so anymore info would stay in one place.

So I performed the relay installation. Worked well, no more clicks when I hit the starter. But I'm having a weird side effect. The starter now engages at the first key position. As in, normally, you click to position one, dash light illuminate, then position 2, a momentary position that spins the starter until the tractor fires up. Well, now my starter starts spinning on position 1. Turn the key one click and the starter spins. If you go past position one, and then come back, it stops. I'm not sure why this is, or how the relay installation could have caused it. Any advice would be welcome.

Cannon51 05-05-2019 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitsuj (Post 481766)
I know this is an old thread, but its full of good info, so I figured I'd ask my question here so anymore info would stay in one place.

So I performed the relay installation. Worked well, no more clicks when I hit the starter. But I'm having a weird side effect. The starter now engages at the first key position. As in, normally, you click to position one, dash light illuminate, then position 2, a momentary position that spins the starter until the tractor fires up. Well, now my starter starts spinning on position 1. Turn the key one click and the starter spins. If you go past position one, and then come back, it stops. I'm not sure why this is, or how the relay installation could have caused it. Any advice would be welcome.

Double check the wiring according to the link in post #3. Be sure you have correctly identified the terminals on the relay. I had to take mine out in the sun to to tell #85 from #86.
Cannon