Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor (LT) (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Possibly Upsetting video electric plowing (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58121)

CubbyRI 01-04-2021 03:33 PM

Possibly Upsetting video electric plowing

Well I dunno. In the comments he said he could plow that very long driveway 4 - 5 times on one charge. He also says this is the only elec GT on the market (that was 2019). Kinda cool how quiet it is.

https://youtu.be/JKXsF7-PzWk?t=181

Radioguy41 01-04-2021 04:20 PM

Not going to do him much good if the storm knocks out the electric and he can't recharge. Then the wind blows drifts across the driveway and the batteries are dead, or the batteries die at the far end of the driveway. Can't just walk back to the shed for a can of electricity. No thanks.

Cubcadet_107 01-04-2021 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radioguy41 (Post 504174)
Not going to do him much good if the storm knocks out the electric and he can't recharge. Then the wind blows drifts across the driveway and the batteries are dead, or the batteries die at the far end of the driveway. Can't just walk back to the shed for a can of electricity. No thanks.

I hadn't thought about that! Storm knocks out power your pretty much dead unless you have a generator, but then you're still burning gas anyway.

The way I saw it, looked like the rear end was still a bit too light as he spun his tires pretty good a few times.

I would certainly stick to my gasoline engines.

ironman 01-04-2021 06:33 PM

You want an electric tractor??
From my Craigslist...
https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/gr...256327873.html

R Bedell 01-04-2021 07:34 PM

I remembers those GE's from the 1970's.

:biggrin2: :biggrin2: :biggrin2:

athomas 01-04-2021 08:05 PM

Just not a very manly machine for that big driveway !! doesn't look like a good rear weight system either. My dad had some late 90's early 2000 cub garden tractors with 50 lb cast weights on each wheel with a 2 stage blower on the front as I remember the blower stuck out so far in front of the tractor that every time you'd come to the end of a pass and pick up the blower the ass end would get so light all you could do was spin trying to back up and get turned around. The small dia. rear tires on the newer stuff doesn't do them any favors !! I named it old "sit and spin " wouldn't have traded him my old 105 ( which he had from new ) for 2 of those new ones !!:beerchug:

Cub Cadet 123 01-04-2021 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R Bedell (Post 504177)
I remembers those GE's from the 1970's.

:biggrin2: :biggrin2: :biggrin2:

Me, too. I think Sears had an all electric one in the '70s. He should see the cub at the Tri-State Small Engine Show with the hit and miss engine on it.:biggrin2: But it is anything but quiet.

Cub Cadet 123

Oak 01-05-2021 05:45 AM

WOW! $4k for that sucker.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cub-Cade...T42e/311630104

ol'George 01-05-2021 07:19 AM

A little postage stamp lawn or a 10 mile commute to work/town for shopping/ errands, electric works ok.
But not hours of hard work.
A Tesla battery pack replacement, costs $16,000 including labor, according to
"Google"
Pay me now or pay me later.
There are no free lunches.
Have we solved the Nuclear waste problem? nope! still sitting on site in drums, TICKING.:bigeyes:
Solar concept is well intended, but from manufacturing/transportating to erecting, then maintaining, it is a negative balance sheet costing taxpayers in subsidies.
Now where is my steam engine :biggrin2:
Oh,
Yes I remember the GE Elec Trac mowers, they never "caught on"

Billy-O 01-05-2021 07:27 AM

Well.....at least he doesn't have to change the summer/winter oil.....

R Bedell 01-05-2021 09:25 AM

From growing up on a farm and using real tractors and now using pre 1985 Cub Cadets, that "thing" looks like a expensive toy to me. I wouldn't waste one second of time on that thing. But, to each his own.

CubbyRI 01-05-2021 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oak (Post 504185)

I clicked the link and read the reviews. It seems to have "issues".

I was just surprised that the battery would last long enough for that big driveway and I found a youtube that the owner mows an acre of grass no problem. Using it as a plow is quiet, but the mower is noisy.

anyway just threw it out here because some people will be all electric in the future. as betteries get stronger and stronger, we may see retrofit engines for our old tractors someday as an option but I think that will be many years away,

Cubcadet_107 01-05-2021 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CubbyRI (Post 504190)
I clicked the link and read the reviews. It seems to have "issues".

LOL :biggrin2::biggrin2: The identical computer-generated responses really had me going too!!

I had to go and read them myself, seems the biggest issue is cheap metal being used on mower deck parts.

As for going all-electric, I don't think most of us here will ever think of that. I don't know about you, but I certainly don't plan on swapping an electric motor into my 107 any time soon!

CubbyRI 01-05-2021 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cubcadet_107 (Post 504196)
LOL :biggrin2::biggrin2: The identical computer-generated responses really had me going too!!

LOL u mean like that poor soul who wrote a detailed complaint including FIVE HOURS of phone time... and the response is "please call us"! LOL

ironman 01-05-2021 11:27 AM

Whether it be battery powered yard equipment (mowers, trimmers, etc) or battery powered tools such as drills, saws, grinders, impacts, they always offer you a great deal on an item or a combo package but when you need a replacement battery they really ream your a$$.
I have no doubt that this will be the case for these tractors, and I have no doubt that the Chinese will be stepping right up with cheap cloned batteries that will cost half as much and last half as long.

Cubcadet_107 01-05-2021 11:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CubbyRI (Post 504198)
LOL u mean like that poor soul who wrote a detailed complaint including FIVE HOURS of phone time... and the response is "please call us"! LOL

Yep! And then there was one guy who waited on hold for an hour before he finally got to speak to anyone, and then got disconnected 2 minutes in!

Attachment 106819

Or those like 10 other people who have one stuck at a repair shop due to an electrical fault, but the service technicians don't have a clue how to fix them because they were never trained to!

Really the moral here is that Cub Cadet should have simply prepared a little better for this. Had their service technicians known how to repair them, and had they made the electrical systems easier to maintain (as well as not used such cheap metal on the deck spindle shafts) this would be a great mowing machine.

steelsmith 01-05-2021 04:55 PM

I may be wrong but would that E-cub be made by MTD?
It's been my understanding that most of the big box stores "tractors" are now made by MTD.

Yes I too will keep my old gasser cub.
Joe

spndncash 01-05-2021 06:34 PM

that depends on the brand you are speaking of - this is a relatively accurate rundown of who owns and who makes what - it's from 2014 and I think there are a few more victims that are out of production.
https://todaysmower.com/2014-lawn-ya...manufacturers/

the electric stuff at the big box stores is all chinese I would assume - swisher, ryobi, turf-one, Ego/ego power+ etc

CubbyRI 01-05-2021 07:29 PM

On the topic of china quality, they CAN produce pretty good (consumer grade) quality. They are often contracted by new owners of formerly superior quality brand names to make essentially, barely functional crap badged to have consumers think they are really getting what that name USED to stand for.

Often, the Chinese are the last to be blamed for this area. It is the American "business leaders" looking for short term profits, and the American consumers themselves who never bothered to learn about real quality and "built to last". In fact the consumers are most to blame because if they didnt buy crap, no one would make it. If these apparent snafu's with this item resulted in a dead product and maybe a dead name brand, no one not even selfish young business hotshot types would dare to put green bananas out.

Not much we can do about this sad decline, except preserve some the examples of when a brand name actually meant something!

Cubcadet_107 01-05-2021 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CubbyRI (Post 504219)
On the topic of china quality, they CAN produce pretty good (consumer grade) quality. They are often contracted by new owners of formerly superior quality brand names to make essentially, barely functional crap badged to have consumers think they are really getting what that name USED to stand for.

Often, the Chinese are the last to be blamed for this area. It is the American "business leaders" looking for short term profits, and the American consumers themselves who never bothered to learn about real quality and "built to last". In fact the consumers are most to blame because if they didnt buy crap, no one would make it. If these apparent snafu's with this item resulted in a dead product and maybe a dead name brand, no one not even selfish young business hotshot types would dare to put green bananas out.

Not much we can do about this sad decline, except preserve some the examples of when a brand name actually meant something!

CubbyRI, you really make a darn good point there. It's all about money and stuff. And it has to be cheap, so the quality goes way down, and when it breaks, it's cheaper to replace than repair. :bash2:

And although not ideal, it still gives us all a reason to keep collecting and fixing up more old Cubs :beerchug:

ol'George 01-06-2021 07:37 AM

China builds exactly what the manufacture's ask.
We give them specifications and durability requirement's.
They do what they can to comply and still produce a quality product and make a profit.
Problem is when they are left to design or build an "economic" part.

Go to Rockauto.com sometime if you haven't, and look up any part for your ride.
You will usually see listings for the same part as
Economy.
Daily driver.
Standard replacement
Delco advantage.
Heavy duty.
All have very different prices reflecting the quality and durability of the parts.

I have some old John Deere equipment on my small farm and they always make a big deal out of Genuine John Deere parts as do other manufactures.
2 years or so ago I went to get bearings for an implement, and in the purdy
Green and Yeller box were the bearings wrapped in Deere rust preventive paper like always, inside were the bearings with etched number and "made in China"
So I looked at the box, and sure enough it said made in china also.
They are still working as expected and I won't be around in 50 years to see if they lasted as long as the original ones did.

We have driven off manufacturing in this country for several reasons.
Environmental rules, tax disadvantages are just two.

I see that getting worse with the new administration, after a promising 4 years of reversals.
But I'll stop there because it is political and not permitted.:bigthink:

finsruskw 01-06-2021 08:34 AM

He'll have his fill of that thing before the winter is over!!
I can see it bouncing all over the place and starting to self destruct in that clip!!

Esteban 03-17-2021 07:09 AM

I wonder how long the transmission will last doing that ?

jbrewer 03-17-2021 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finsruskw (Post 504235)
He'll have his fill of that thing before the winter is over!!
I can see it bouncing all over the place and starting to self destruct in that clip!!

But Virtue Signalling is an important accomplishment. I mean after all, it's not that it doesn't save energy or make any financial or practical sense, it's that it is INTENDED to do those things that count.

Here electric tractor owner, is your participation trophy!

jbrewer 03-17-2021 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ol'George (Post 504233)
We have driven off manufacturing in this country for several reasons.
Environmental rules, tax disadvantages are just two.

Yeah... it's apparently OK to pollute (because manufacturing in 3rd world holes pollutes far more than the US did) , just don't do it in my back yard. It's another variation of Virtue Signalling. The appearance of doing something (see: "high efficiency toilets" that need 2x flushes to function) is the moral equivalent of actually doing something.

Cubcadet_107 03-17-2021 07:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Attachment 107622

Attachment 107623

(site won't let me resize correctly, sorry bout how small these are)