Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   The Tool Shed (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Old Pump (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51020)

yettrbomb 01-03-2018 01:08 PM

Old Pump

3 Attachment(s)
Anyone ever seen anything like this before? This was in the attic of my grandmothers garage, found when we were cleaning out after she moved in with my aunt. It belonged to my grandfather, he passed away many years before I was born. I know he used to have a large garden. My dad said he had a David Bradley tractor with lots of attachments, but was sold years after he passed. He also thinks he may have used this pump with either his lawn mower or the DB. But no one knows for sure. It spins freely, and I’d like to try and use it, even if it’s just once. I’d guess it’s from the ‘60s. Little to no info online. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Terry C 01-03-2018 03:57 PM

Hard to say who made that for Sears. Better lube that seal up good if it’s been sitting. I can’t tell what packing it has but have water in it before you spin it up.
Hope it still works.

yettrbomb 01-03-2018 07:49 PM

[QUOTE=Terry C;443210]Hard to say who made that for Sears. Better lube that seal up good if it’s been sitting. I can’t tell what packing it has but have water in it before you spin it up.
Hope it still works.[/QUOTE

Heard that! If it warms up here I will put some water to it. Gotta find something to couple it up...

RLause 01-03-2018 08:25 PM

The pump will need a foot valve or a check valve in the supply line because the pump will not pump air. Without water to cool and lube the seal, it won't last very long.

Jeff in Pa 01-03-2018 08:30 PM

Can you get a close up of the tag?
Thanks
Jeff

yettrbomb 01-03-2018 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLause (Post 443232)
The pump will need a foot valve or a check valve in the supply line because the pump will not pump air. Without water to cool and lube the seal, it won't last very long.

Yes, for sure!

yettrbomb 01-03-2018 08:47 PM

[QUOTE=Jeff in Pa;443236]Can you get a close up of the tag?
Thanks
Jeff

Yes I did get another one. Having trouble uploading, will try a little later!

Jeff in Pa 01-03-2018 09:04 PM

[QUOTE=yettrbomb;443239]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff in Pa (Post 443236)
Can you get a close up of the tag?
Thanks
Jeff

Yes I did get another one. Having trouble uploading, will try a little later!

I'm having a terrible time uploading pictures lately. They are always "too big" even though I resize them.

Loading off the computer sometimes works better than from a link

yettrbomb 01-03-2018 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Also, found a company “Ace pumps” are making one really similar to this one. I’m gonna send an email to see if they maybe made them for sears.

J-Mech 01-03-2018 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLause (Post 443232)

A foot valve is what goes onto the end of the hose/pipe that goes into a well.
(Most common application.) It is so the pump doesn't lose prime. He never said he was going to use it to pump water out of a well. If he uses it on a tank, or feeds it overhead it will be fine. As long as you aren't trying to suck water up a 20' column, you don't need a foot valve.

Ace pumps have been around for a long time. Don't know if they will help you or not... but they do make similar pumps.