Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor (LT) (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Picked up a 2135 with fuel issues (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53373)

PeterJ 09-17-2018 11:57 PM

Picked up a 2135 with fuel issues

It was on CL and about 10 miles away. $250 with new fuel pump and battery. Only 319 hours and it still has headlights! It has a 14hp Kohler. Looks stock. New blades and pto belt.

I told him it needed new fuel line and the tank flushed and it should be worth more $. He wanted just to get rid of it.

The gas tank outlet was plugged. The fuel line was cracked (vacuum leak-air into fuel). The fuel pump arm was broke in 2 pieces. The float and needle were not connected. Anyway, it runs good now.

But, the hydro foot controls are awkward. Is the tractor supposed to return to neutral if the pedal is released? That would seem right, being it has forward cruise control with the hand lever at the right fender. With the reverse PTO cut out and awkward foot controls, I can see why so many of these are smashed.

Sorry, no pics. The only ISP that serves my area called it quits, so I only have a cell phone.

PeterJ

R Bedell 09-18-2018 05:20 AM

Quote:

Is the tractor supposed to return to neutral if the pedal is released?
Yes, that is also true back to the first Hydro, the 123.

Terry C 09-18-2018 02:28 PM

I had a 2135 for a short bit. Pedals returned, no cutout(somebody bypassed it before I got it).

guyina4x4 09-18-2018 06:33 PM

My 2185 kinda coasts to a stop when I take my foot off.
I like it that way, no jerky stops

PeterJ 09-19-2018 09:32 PM

Thanks for the replies guys!

I’m going to look into converting the cruise control into a forward and reverse lever.

PeterJ

PeterJ 09-23-2018 11:05 PM

I changed the transmission filter today. The one on it was yellow and looked to be original. I didn’t expect about 5 quarts of fluid to come out. Even though it had looked really clean on the dipstick, it was nasty and dark gray. It was cold. I had not started the tractor because I thought I’d be able to change out the filter and only loose a small amount of fluid. I pulled the plug and let the rest come out. It was snotty.

I ended up running into the local farm store and picked up a 2 gallon jug of “Universal Fluid” approved for IH applications, but not the one they had as a Hy-Trans fluid. It was very light and looked like vegetable oil.

I ran it a minute on jack stands to purge out any air bubbles and then put the deck back on and took it for a test run.

It is now a completely different tractor now! All of the fits I was having with the foot controls is gone. It runs like it is new. I might even have to bust out the wax!

PeterJ

CC2140 01-04-2019 12:41 PM

You can stop if from disengaging the blades when you press reverse by looking under the peddle there is a lever that when pressing the reverse drive pedal pushes the metal arm into a kill switch to the PTO. Just bend the metal arm out of the way and it won't shut off on you anymore. Now you can enjoy mowing in reverse!