Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT) (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   First Cub (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58045)

RustyShackleford 12-17-2020 01:54 PM

First Cub

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all!

Neighbor has had this sitting out front for a while and I finally caved and picked it up :biggrin2: It's my first Cub but I can feel the addiction beginning already, uh oh. I am pretty sure it's a 102 but I'm not positive. It's got the 10hp Kohler K241 and the three speed gearbox. I think the hood might be wrong; doesn't seem like the same decal/logo that you normally see on tractors from this era.

Unfortunately there's no tag on the axle. It looks like it was initially painted red but has yellow on top; perhaps a Farmall axle that has been swapped in?

No creeper but I think I'd like to find one. Would like to find some implements as well. No projects to put it to work on yet, though, so for now I'll just be tinkerin' :ThumbsUp:

One question I do have is - to start the tractor, you just put the key in and turn it one click clockwise and it fires up and runs. I would have expected there to be a separate key position for starting (or perhaps a pushbutton) but there isn't. Hopefully the starter/generator isn't in the start position at all times when running? Just doesn't seem right to me.

Thanks for looking!

Cubcadet_107 12-17-2020 03:11 PM

:Welcome2:

That's a nice 102! I think somebody stuck the wrong decals on the hood, that's all. As for the trans, the primer/undercoat used on the transmissions is red. It was also used on the inside of the transmission.

As for the ignition, only the Original, 70, and 100 had a key ignition switch and separate push button to start. Seems that the 71, 102, 122 and 123 have a 2-position key switch that works in the way you describe it. All tractors after that have a 3-position key switch.

RustyShackleford 12-17-2020 03:18 PM

Thanks for the welcome and the information! That's good to hear about both the axle and the ignition switch. I wonder how that works electrically, only having two positions on the switch :bigthink:

It sure ran like a champ on the quarter mile drive home last night :biggrin2: Aside from the wandering steering!

finsruskw 12-17-2020 03:37 PM

2 points off and on
When it's on there is supposed to be a push button on the dash to make the connection to the solenoid.

Your key is spring loaded to the right, correct?

The 102 is a series #3 Cub, last ones with the bolt on sub frames and mule drives.

Good score! Looks to be in great shape!

RustyShackleford 12-17-2020 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finsruskw (Post 503578)
2 points off and on
When it's on there is supposed to be a push button on the dash to make the connection to the solenoid.

Your key is spring loaded to the right, correct?

The 102 is a series #3 Cub, last ones with the bolt on sub frames and mule drives.

Good score! Looks to be in great shape!

No, it’s just a two position one. As soon as you turn it to the run position the tractor fires up and runs. If I remember correctly though, there is a wire with an alligator clip running to one of the terminals on the coil. I think it runs back up to the solenoid. Perhaps that is a shadetree’d solenoid connection?

And thank you, it does seem to be in good shape so far!!

ironman 12-17-2020 04:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Doesn't sound right to me. There should be a starter solenoid in the dash tower behind the battery. The start position of the switch energizes it. That would require a 3 position switch.
If your tractor is cranking as soon as you turn the key, then your solenoid must be staying energized constantly once it starts. Not good for the solenoid, or the generator for that matter.

longislandcubs 12-17-2020 06:36 PM

welcome to OCC... really nice tractor, good luck with it.:beerchug:

Cubcadet_107 12-17-2020 06:49 PM

When I looked up a key switch for a 102 it gave me results about a 2 position switch, Wasn't sure it was correct though. I don't own a machine from that series but I'm pretty sure they all should have the three-position switch. Off, On, and Start. Start is spring-loaded so that when you let go of it it pops back to the run position.

I would recommend simply replacing your starter switch with the correct one :beerchug:

I just noticed your comment about driving it down the street to bring it home, I love taking my cubs all around the neighborhood whenever I can :biggrin2:

darkminion_17 12-17-2020 06:55 PM

That a nice California tractor, and rust free as usual.

R Bedell 12-17-2020 07:38 PM

Welcome to OCC..........:Welcome2: