Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor (LT) (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Dija Know This??? re: runtime clock. (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54123)

Seekertom 12-20-2018 11:51 AM

Dija Know This??? re: runtime clock.

I wonder if I'm the only one who found this fact eye-opening....

I tried starting my new cubby lt50, but discovered the key was on (I blame the grandkids... Always blame the lil kids, right?)

Battery was of course, totally dead. I jumpered from a spare and it started right up, but I was shocked to see hour meter at 52 hours! I checked my phone cam archives and saw last use time was 2.7 hrs. WTF????

So, here's what I learned about the run-time clocks.... they don't necessarily track engine run time... the clock runs any time the key is on.
Surprise to me.

Maybe not a big deal, maybe all the world's clocks are the same, but I have to wonder how a guy can be assured that the clock really represents tru engine run time... I also wonder if anyone else already knew this???

st.
:bigthink:

thanks for all the input, folks. Ya, do have grandkids, even great-grandkid, ifn ya want to count my semi-scottish daughter and her sub-clan...
n e how, my concern was because my 'other' cubby had a blown engine and somehow it seemed significant that the engine showed only 020 hours runtime. Now, it seems, I have nothing to wave about the air in my complaints since the hours dont mean diddly!

o well. Merry Christmas, y'all!
st

Mudrig150 12-20-2018 11:53 AM

That's why I probably will hook the hour meter into the charging system, so that when the key is left on all it does it burn up the coil instead of adding hours on.
My 1250 is hooked up that way, and so I know that the hours are correct.

Leadslingingdaddy 12-21-2018 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudrig150 (Post 474445)
That's why I probably will hook the hour meter into the charging system, so that when the key is left on all it does it burn up the coil instead of adding hours on.
My 1250 is hooked up that way, and so I know that the hours are correct.

So you are willing to burn up a coil rather than just clock time on an hour meter????

From the kid that can't afford nearly free tractors and equipment??? :BlahBlah:

You can eliminate this issue by installing a battery shut off switch that manually disconnects the battery from any device or gauge on the lawn mower...

cooperino 12-21-2018 06:51 AM

I think most of the guys here know the clock runs if key left on. I had a green one once that th PO installed a single led light on the dash that lit when the key was on. It didnt shine on anything nor was it bright enough to use to see anything really. But it did let you know the key was on from distance.. :bigthink: wonder if the PO had grandchildren :biggrin2:

R Bedell 12-21-2018 07:00 AM

Quote:

the clock runs any time the key is on.
Yup, I have known this for a couple of decades.

:ThumbsUp:

ol'George 12-21-2018 07:32 AM

Hour meters are as reliable as odometers, and the people that set them back.
I group them with lawyers/politicians. :bigthink:
If one wires them through an oil pressure switch,
( on engines that have an oil pump) then they will only operate when there is oil pressure of a running engine.

Mudrig150 12-21-2018 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leadslingingdaddy (Post 474502)
So you are willing to burn up a coil rather than just clock time on an hour meter????

From the kid that can't afford nearly free tractors and equipment??? :BlahBlah:

You can eliminate this issue by installing a battery shut off switch that manually disconnects the battery from any device or gauge on the lawn mower...

Either way it would burn up the coil, right?

Leadslingingdaddy 12-21-2018 10:03 AM

Gompers 12-21-2018 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leadslingingdaddy (Post 474512)

Tractor basically already has one - the keyswitch.

Bamafan 12-21-2018 07:48 PM

I eliminate the switch being turned on accidently, I take the key out and hang it on a nail out of the grandkids reach.