Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT) (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Mechanic in a can PS fix (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53392)

Sam Mac 09-20-2018 04:31 PM

Mechanic in a can PS fix

1 Attachment(s)
Mechanic in a can PS fix. OK let the negative comments begin. Here's the deal the power steering on my 1864/2264 has been getting sloppy to the point that I was planning on pulling it apart and doing the reseal routine to it. Just for the hell of it I bought a bottle of Bars Leak rear main seal repair and dumped it in the tranny. Cost me a whole $8.94. Figured for that huge sum of money what have I got to loose. Well damn after about 30 mins mowing with it I noticed it was getting better, by the time I was done about 3 hours it feels as good as new and the howl is gone. It claims to swell seals so I figured the PS system in these things is nothing but a bunch of O-Rings. Am I recommending this, no I'm going telling you what I did. Now for a long term test to see how it holds up or if it causes any problems. :beerchug::beerchug:

R Bedell 09-20-2018 04:36 PM

Know you for as long as I have, I'll say......I believe you Brother Sam.

:biggrin2:
:beer2:

Alvy 09-20-2018 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Mac (Post 466916)
Mechanic in a can PS fix. OK let the negative comments begin. Here's the deal the power steering on my 1864/2264 has been getting sloppy to the point that I was planning on pulling it apart and doing the reseal routine to it. Just for the hell of it I bought a bottle of Bars Leak rear main seal repair and dumped it in the tranny. Cost me a whole $8.94. Figured for that huge sum of money what have I got to loose. Well damn after about 30 mins mowing with it I noticed it was getting better, by the time I was done about 3 hours it feels as good as new and the howl is gone. It claims to swell seals so I figured the PS system in these things is nothing but a bunch of O-Rings. Am I recommending this, no I'm going telling you what I did. Now for a long term test to see how it holds up or if it causes any problems. :beerchug::beerchug:

Now the other question. Most transmission leaks are the infamous cork gasket. Would this swell that as well and seal it off or will it only work on rubber seals. I think we need another volunteer.

I’m curious Sam. Did you by any chance smell it? Does it smell like it has brake fluid in it?

PS before you get flamed and pissed off, might I recommend pepper in the radiator and banana peels in the differential? :biggrin2:

Just kidding, good for you. I’m interested in the long term on this so hope it’s updated in a while!

cooperino 09-20-2018 05:45 PM

I believe it for sure. It makes seals swell. That seals the leaks temporarily because it also softens the seals. Get away with it as long as you can. It works great in a pinch sometimes. I have had the same experience with it... now the other mechanic in a can for knocks lol.. not so much.

Sam Mac 09-20-2018 06:35 PM

I didn't have any leaks to start with just the steering was getting crappy.

cooperino 09-20-2018 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Mac (Post 466922)
I didn't have any leaks to start with just the steering was getting crappy.

Hmmm. So more like a conditioner. We use to use lucas for that.

DieselDoctor 09-20-2018 06:55 PM

Chemical compounds have come a long way in recent years. Each new idea needs to be evaluated with an open mind. The snake oils of years ago that were worthless have made us gun shy. Personally Sam, I believe your results and hope that you'll keep us posted as to how it lasts. Thanks for sharing.

cooperino 09-20-2018 07:03 PM

Same here Sam. I didn't take what you said as an infomercial. If you say you saw positive results I'm sure you saw positive results.

darkminion_17 09-20-2018 08:11 PM

It works it's ok, but I would like to hear a joke about a mechanic that came in a can.

cooperino 09-20-2018 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkminion_17 (Post 466938)
It works it's ok, but I would like to hear a joke about a mechanic that came in a can.

:bigthink: Im just gonna leave that one alone...