Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Talk (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   My kid bought an XT1 (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55420)

Sam Mac 07-09-2019 10:36 AM

My kid bought an XT1

Well I have obviously failed as a parent. My daughter who knows that I am somewhat knowledgeable when it comes to Cub Cadets instead of calling and asking my opinion about them buying a new Cub went out and bought an XT1. I will be forever shamed. I have a perfectly good 1641 that I would have given to her had she called. I give up. :bash2::bash2::beatdeadhorse::beatdeadhorse:

CubDieselFan 07-09-2019 12:38 PM

It is the kids these days Sam. On another note, you will get to give us a report on how hard or easy they are to work on in a few summers. Sorry, bad joke.

Sam Mac 07-09-2019 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CubDieselFan (Post 484956)
It is the kids these days Sam. On another note, you will get to give us a report on how hard or easy they are to work on in a few summers. Sorry, bad joke.

She and her hubby live in South Carolina (200 mile one way trip), I don't do road calls, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna work on this POS. They can take it back to Home Cheapo.
:bash2::bash2:

Jeff in Pa 07-09-2019 08:35 PM

Sorry to hear :bigeyes:

My next door neighbor was growing tired of his tube frame Bolens and wanted something different. I offered to find him a good vintage Cub Cadet but he wanted "new".

I explained the advantages of the "vintage" Cub Cadets but he wanted shiny. I explained he had to go at least a 2000 series to get a decent machine. he was also told to purchase from a dealer instead of a box store in case it needed to be worked on. A dealer will take care of you but a box store just points in the direction of the dealer.

He sold the Bolens and bought a LT1040 from Lowes. He saved an entire $10 buying it at the box store instead of the local dealer. :bash2:

He ran it hard and the drive BELT blew out the next year. He sheepishly walked over with his head down and asked if I could tow his lawn mower to the garage with my old cub.

I helped him out but had to drag it backwards as there wasn't anything substantial to hook up on the front. Everything was flimsy sheetmetal.

Well, he killed the 1040 in four or so years and is now running a JD lawn mower just as hard. :bash2:

Sam Mac 07-09-2019 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff in Pa (Post 484973)
Sorry to hear :bigeyes:

My next door neighbor was growing tired of his tube frame Bolens and wanted something different. I offered to find him a good vintage Cub Cadet but he wanted "new".

I explained the advantages of the "vintage" Cub Cadets but he wanted shiny. I explained he had to go at least a 2000 series to get a decent machine. he was also told to purchase from a dealer instead of a box store in case it needed to be worked on. A dealer will take care of you but a box store just points in the direction of the dealer.

He sold the Bolens and bought a LT1040 from Lowes. He saved an entire $10 buying it at the box store instead of the local dealer. :bash2:

He ran it hard and the drive BELT blew out the next year. He sheepishly walked over with his head down and asked if I could tow his lawn mower to the garage with my old cub.

I helped him out but had to drag it backwards as there wasn't anything substantial to hook up on the front. Everything was flimsy sheetmetal.

Well, he killed the 1040 in four or so years and is now running a JD lawn mower just as hard. :bash2:

Yep today's society seems to just want cheap throw away crap, they have no desire to buy something that will last a long time with just a little maintenance. We are doomed as a country.

ol'George 07-09-2019 09:33 PM

I think people also look @ how much it is going to cost them per payment and buy accordingly.
We know a quality built cub or equivalent Deere 40 years ago cost in today's dollars.,
And we also know the "honey holes" of cubs/Deers tend to be clustered near good industrial jobs that once were 40 years ago, and most good union jobs in
heavy manufacturing.
Things are not the same today as we know, the enviro rules and inexpensive labor drove them off shore to other countries.
it is a different world, like it or not.
Has the worm turned? it remains to be seen in time to come.
Just my take.:bigthink:

Billy-O 07-09-2019 11:15 PM

My guess is that POS XT1 will break soon enough that the kid will know Daddy was right whether he/she admits it or not. Only then, the kid will probably hire someone with a bad ass ZT to mow the lawn every week.

R Bedell 07-10-2019 07:11 AM

I extend my deepest condolences. :biggrin2:

West Valley G 07-10-2019 10:35 AM

I marvel that people in general have the cash to buy these new throw away
machines. Its all I can do to keep the multitude of old machines running
so I can get my work done. I watch my children ( in their 30s)
continue to engage the world on a deeper and deeper level every day
and then marvel when they get bit. I do wonder where they grew up,
am pretty sure it was at my table but ...... I hear you loud and clear Sam.

Ken

DeltaCub 07-10-2019 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R Bedell (Post 484985)
I extend my deepest condolences. :biggrin2:

X2. Ten characters