Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor (LT) (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   LTX 1040 PTO Problems (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55246)

bkbroiler 06-14-2019 08:38 AM

LTX 1040 PTO Problems

Hello everybody, I was thankful to find this forum online! I'm a member of forums for my motorcycle, truck, and car but never sought one out for my mower.

My mower (2010 LTX1040) worked fine last time I used it about 3 weeks ago. Then when I tried to use it Wednesday, the blades would not engage correctly. When I put the PTO in the on position, I can see it moves something on the deck. If I sit there for several seconds with it in the on position, the blades will start to slowly turn but not enough to mow. All the belts appear to be on correctly and are not overly worn. I can turn the blades freely by hand. I had hoped I'd be able to notice something "off" when I engaged it, but I haven't found anything yet. Any suggestions about how to proceed?

cooperino 06-14-2019 09:57 AM

Hi! Welcome to OCC

So, If I were you. I would take the deck off the tractor. Then I would take the deck belt off. I would then spin each Shaft and pulley by hand checking to see if any feel tight. I would also flip the deck over and give it a good cleaning and probably a coat of paint. If all seems okay with the deck itself I would start looking at the drive belt. It could be worn and or slipping. The things I mentioned to do with the deck plus greasing any zerks should be routine yearly or twice yearly maintenance anyway.

bkbroiler 06-14-2019 02:59 PM

Thanks

Thank you for the suggestions! That gives me a starting point. I cleaned it thoroughly and painted the bottom w/ rust protector paint last time I changed the blades, but that was last season. I didn't grease anything though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperino (Post 483780)
Hi! Welcome to OCC

So, If I were you. I would take the deck off the tractor. Then I would take the deck belt off. I would then spin each Shaft and pulley by hand checking to see if any feel tight. I would also flip the deck over and give it a good cleaning and probably a coat of paint. If all seems okay with the deck itself I would start looking at the drive belt. It could be worn and or slipping. The things I mentioned to do with the deck plus greasing any zerks should be routine yearly or twice yearly maintenance anyway.

jzwilliams 06-22-2019 11:10 AM

LTX 1040 PTO Problems

I’ve had the same problem on my LTX 1045. I have managed to bend the manual pto lever two separate times and this prevents the cable from tightening the belt that drives the mower deck. There is not enough travel on the cable after it is bent. I’ve ordered replacement handles online from amazon for less than $20.00 and swapped it out. This has corrected my mower engagement problem.