Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Restoration Tips (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Best methods to revive nuts/bolt? (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22885)

1650noob 02-25-2013 10:07 AM

Best methods to revive nuts/bolt?

I was wondering what good methods are for reviving nuts and bolts from rust/dirt/pitting, etc? Also just general good methods to remove such things on any parts? I tried soaking nuts and bolts in apple vinager but it didn't work out too well. :(

-Nate

Jumper 02-25-2013 10:57 AM

Noob: If your bolts have gone ugly due to deep rust and scale the only thing to do is get new one's and paint them up. If your looking to stay with original type bolts, guy's who do allot of cub parting will sell bags of bolt's they pulled off cubs to collectors.(check with our sponsors) :GoodLuck:Save the vinegar for your french fries, their delicious. :HeeHee:

SLS327 02-26-2013 01:40 AM

Removing rust from parts

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1650noob (Post 176497)
I was wondering what good methods are for reviving nuts and bolts from rust/dirt/pitting, etc? Also just general good methods to remove such things on any parts? I tried soaking nuts and bolts in apple vinager but it didn't work out too well. :(

-Nate

Use a tap and die set to clean out thread holes. If you don't have that, grind three slots in the threads and taper the end of an old bolt and run it in and out of the hole. A wire wheel on a grinder will work for bolts, but wear safety glasses and hold the part securely.

Soak the parts in dark molassas. Expensive, but will remove the rust and give you an orignal surface, shiny part. If the rust has pitted, you can't do much about that. Generally takes about 1-2 weeks soak.

Local hardware stores, bomgaars, lowes, menards generally have selections of new hardware. Take the old one along to compare threads.

4SPEED 02-26-2013 04:00 AM

what I did for my show cars is , I took my bolts / nuts and brackets to a chromer. they can cad or zinc plate them back to the OEM look. it cost me 35 bucks to do a bolts and nuts from the last car I restored.

Outdoorsben 02-26-2013 10:55 AM

When we did the restore of a 74 CJ5 we soaked some small rusted parts in coke and that worked pretty well.

1650noob 02-26-2013 01:34 PM

thanks for the tips!:beerchug:

dag1450 08-22-2013 07:06 AM

I'm in the beginning stages of 2 snow blower restores and have a ton of rusty hardware. I have removed all grease and oil with a soak in paint thinner, then went to a vinegar bath for the rust, my next step before trying to replate them is to clean and shine. Has anyone used a vibratory tumbler like for reloading or deburing ? I have heard they really work well, I have a few on the radar but did not get one yet. Then im not sure on the media to use ether ,I see a lot of walnut shells but didn't know if play sand would also do the trick ? Thanks Dave

PaulS 08-22-2013 09:39 AM

I tried the tumbler/vibrater on a few bolts and left them in there over a day in walnut shell media but it did very little to improve the looks of the bolts. I do use a wire wheel and it seems to do the job in just a minute or two.

dag1450 08-23-2013 05:49 AM

Thanks Paul, yea the wire wheel is very tempting at only $10 for the bench grinder, but the thought of handling every nut bolt and washer is overwhelming. Im thinking sand would have to do a better job than the shells but I don't know.Dave

nikster 08-23-2013 07:36 AM

I've had decent results by;

Soaking the bolts & nuts in parts cleaner for a few hours.

Taking my Dremel & wire wheel to clean the threads.

They are not bright & shiney like new ones but are very usable. On some I use ' School Bus Yellow'. From ace hardware. Or epoxy almond for the white. It all depends how exposed they are? My cubs are NOT museum things. They work & my only concern is to spiffy them up a bit.

On some of the nuts I do re--thread them if they are screwed up.

NIK,