Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   The Tool Shed (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Bandsaw vs. chopsaw ...opinions??? (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35513)

tonka.scout800a 11-01-2014 11:44 PM

Bandsaw vs. chopsaw ...opinions???

I was cutting some metal today using a cut-off disk with my angle grinder and realized just how hard it was to get a straight or square cut. This isn't so bad on flat metal, but square or round tube is a PITA. I had planned on getting a chop saw, but then I got to looking at the porta band type saws today. Now I am thinking these might be better. Less sparks, noise etc. Main concern I have is the stock size limitations. They do have the Deep Cut versions available :bigthink: Just wondering what everyone else prefers :beer2:

CADplans 11-01-2014 11:48 PM

Porta-Band!! :bigthink:

darryljs 11-01-2014 11:52 PM

A band saw gives a nicer cut and won't burn the metal. I use one that has a 6" x 6" cut and I can cut most everything I need to. Any bigger than what the band saw will cut --- out comes the torch.:biggrin2:

tonka.scout800a 11-01-2014 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darryljs (Post 293959)
A band saw gives a nicer cut and won't burn the metal.I use one that has a 6" x 6" cut and I can cut most everything I need to. Any bigger than what the band saw will cut --- out comes the torch.:biggrin2:

That's what I'm thinking, too.

6" x 6" ?? Is this a porta band? or a horizontal/vertical bandsaw? The ones I've looked at so far are 5" x 5" biggest ...Milwaukee and Dewalt

jimbob200521 11-02-2014 12:08 AM

FYI: A miter saw will work fine as a chop saw, however; the gears and motor aren't sealed so if you use a miter saw for extended periods or chop a lot of steel with it, it won't last as long. But for the occasional cut, a miter saw will work just fine. For as often as I cut steel with it, my miter saw works just fine :beerchug:

darryljs 11-02-2014 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonka.scout800a (Post 293960)
That's what I'm thinking, too.

6" x 6" ?? Is this a porta band? or a horizontal/vertical bandsaw? The ones I've looked at so far are 5" x 5" biggest ...Milwaukee and Dewalt

It's a horizontal/vertical band saw off brand from TSC that I got a couple years ago.

tonka.scout800a 11-02-2014 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbob200521 (Post 293962)
FYI: A miter saw will work fine as a chop saw, however; the gears and motor aren't sealed so if you use a miter saw for extended periods or chop a lot of steel with it, it won't last as long. But for the occasional cut, a miter saw will work just fine. For as often as I cut steel with it, my miter saw works just fine :beerchug:

I do have a 12" Compound Miter Saw and had thought of changing the blade for metal cuts. But I would really have to watch it as it's bolted to the workbench and there's lots of sawdust :Poof: :biggrin2:

tonka.scout800a 11-02-2014 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darryljs (Post 293963)
It's a horizontal/vertical band saw off brand from TSC that I got a couple years ago.

Is this the Black Bull brand ? They are on sale now for about $150.

darryljs 11-02-2014 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonka.scout800a (Post 293965)
Is this the Black Bull brand ? They are on sale now for about $150.

That's the one, I couldn't think of the name. I do have a chop saw, but I hardly ever use it since I have the band saw. I had to fuss a bit with it so it would cut square but it works great. The cut is thinner than a chop saw also. No sparks to worry about but may take a little longer to cut stuff. Once you start the cut, you can go do something else till it's done. It will shut itself off when the piece is cut off.

Sam Mac 11-02-2014 06:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what I use for a chop saw, just put an abrasive blade on it. Been using it for 4 or 5 years so far. Had to take the bag off, it caught on fire LOL. Also have a Milwaukee Saws all