Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Home Made (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Generator attachment. (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53038)

cooperino 08-08-2018 09:21 AM

Generator attachment.

2 Attachment(s)
So I dug this old gen set out of a dark spot in the shop. Saw one for a Cub cadet recently and thought I would re-purpose this one. So I will split this up and put a pulley on it and a mount for one for the 129's. I will have a good running left over 11HP B&S if anyone local wants it. "free" or maybe trade something small.

Has anyone else here done this? or have most of the ones I see purchased as an attachment?

I have an old air compressor head off a truck also.. Was thinking of setting up a compressor as well.

ol'George 08-08-2018 09:27 AM

Me thinks the "shaft" is tapered on the motor and a tapered hole on the alternator.:bigthink:

cooperino 08-08-2018 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ol'George (Post 463096)
Me thinks the "shaft" is tapered on the motor and a tapered hole on the alternator.:bigthink:

Could be.. I will machine a shaft for it if need be and attach a pulley. I thought about that when I saw the mounting.

J-Mech 08-08-2018 09:32 AM

How are you going to support the end of the alternator that attaches to the engine? Crankshaft supports it on that end.
Do you have a lathe with a taper attachment?
The shaft is tapered.

cooperino 08-08-2018 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Mech (Post 463100)
How are you going to support the end of the alternator that attaches to the engine? Crankshaft supports it on that end.
Do you have a lathe with a taper attachment?
The shaft is tapered.

I own several lathes.. Yes I can taper. I can also cut threads. There are 4 bolts that thread directly into gen housing. I can easily build a frame and bolt to them. I also own a line bore, a Bridgeport, a drill press, several welders and so on and so on.. This is not some tiny company I own here Jon...

J-Mech 08-08-2018 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperino (Post 463107)
I own several lathes.. Yes I can taper. I can also cut threads. There are 4 bolts that thread directly into gen housing. I can easily build a frame and bolt to them. I also own a line bore, a Bridgeport, a drill press, several welders and so on and so on.. This is not some tiny company I own here Jon...

If you own all that and know how to use it, and know all this stuff, then why did you start a thread asking if anyone here has done it? Sounds like you are looking for advice?
Quit asking, build it and show us how smart and good you are.

You can cut threads on any lathe. I have a small Atlas. Doesn't even have quick change gears, and it will cut threads. That's not impressive. Having a taper attachment and knowing how to use it, is more impressive. Let's see you go cut the shaft and build the support. Quit posting and go work!!!

I can't believe you didn't know that gen sets use a tapered shaft. Good luck getting the motor off. They're usually stuck pretty good.

cooperino 08-08-2018 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Mech (Post 463110)
If you own all that and know how to use it, and know all this stuff, then why did you start a thread asking if anyone here has done it? Sounds like you are looking for advice?
Quit asking, build it and show us how smart and good you are.

You can cut threads on any lathe. I have a small Atlas. Doesn't even have quick change gears, and it will cut threads. That's not impressive. Having a taper attachment and knowing how to use it, is more impressive. Let's see you go cut the shaft and build the support. Quit posting and go work!!!

I can't believe you didn't know that gen sets use a tapered shaft. Good luck getting the motor off. They're usually stuck pretty good.

HA... spoken like a guy who has tried and failed. I was asking if anyone had done it because its interesting to talk and communicate with others.

Most here could do this with out a lathe. If i wanted to I could just cut the crank and not make one. Guess ya didnt think of that.. I don't just destroy things tho.

Im a little surprised you could not figure out how to support it...

J-Mech 08-08-2018 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperino (Post 463114)
HA... spoken like a guy who has tried and failed. I was asking if anyone had done it because its interesting to talk and communicate with others.

Most here could do this with out a lathe. If i wanted to I could just cut the crank and not make one. Guess ya didnt think of that.. I don't just destroy things tho.

Im a little surprised you could not figure out how to support it...

I never said I tried it. I've not failed at anything I ever set out to do. I do know how to do it, and I did think of cutting the crank. Not all that complicated of a process. I think you're way of trying to make me look ignorant is funny. Takes more than some show off with some tools to impress me. You have to be able to use them. Hell, you didn’t even know spin kick bendix starter needs lube. I'll be waiting to see if you actually get this gen set made, or if you just like to post.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

cooperino 08-08-2018 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Mech (Post 463117)
I've not failed at anything I ever set out to do.

WOW.. That's a pretty bold statement. Failing "sometimes" Is just part of life. Most adults know this. Hell, I would say I never failed at anything if I was not worried people would call me a narcissist.

J-Mech 08-08-2018 10:36 AM

Oh I've failed at a lot of things. But not "jobs". Mechanical things, or projects. Failure is defined as lack of success. To the best of my memory, I have completed all tasks with success to which I was given, or took on myself. I can't recall ever giving up, or failing to complete a project for lack of ability to finish. Lost interest in plenty, and never finished them, or ran out of money and they are sitting. But not failed. Several times, had to scrap work and start over, but in the end the task was completed.