Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Restoration Tips (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Grille casting cleanup (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53782)

Mudrig150 11-08-2018 07:19 AM

Grille casting cleanup

So, planning on cleaning up my grille casting, and I noticed one glaring problem, it is about as smooth as the surface of the moon. So, I was wondering, should I just fill in the craters with body filler and paint over it? Also, do you think semi gloss or gloss clear coat would match the stock shine?

R Bedell 11-08-2018 07:51 AM

As you should know, castings by nature, are not smooth surfaces. You either (A) Accept the "casting patina", or (B) you don't. IF you don't, then do as YOU see fit.

We have members here that are professional painters all the way to people that "brush or roller" on paint. Most people use the Cub Cadet paint and spray it on. It is your tractor, your time, your money and you can paint it as you see fit.

cooperino 11-08-2018 07:55 AM

100% Agree with Roland.

If you do decide to "smooth" it out. I would not suggest bondo. I think i would likely use gorilla hair. If you have never used this before. Its like bondo but with fiberglass in it. Its much stronger than bondo and less likely to crack.

Mudrig150 11-08-2018 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R Bedell (Post 471177)
As you should know, castings by nature, are not smooth surfaces. You either (A) Accept the "casting patina", or (B) you don't. IF you don't, then do as YOU see fit.

We have members here that are professional painters all the way to people that "brush or roller" on paint. Most people use the Cub Cadet paint and spray it on. It is your tractor, your time, your money and you can paint it as you see fit.

I think it's a combination of rust with paint on it and the casting roughness.

DieselDoctor 11-08-2018 08:35 AM

Plenty of parts tractors out there, yours is a common model. You could look for a casting in better condition.

Mudrig150 11-08-2018 09:43 AM

It's really a problem of common tractor, rare part out. They usually sell em junk for way too much.

Bamafan 11-08-2018 10:20 AM

Mud, why not clean up the one you have, If yours is cracked or unserviceable by all means get another, remove the paint and rust, a wire brush on an angle grinder works wanders. Once cleaned prime and paint. Just takes time and you might learn something.

Mudrig150 11-08-2018 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bamafan (Post 471185)
Mud, why not clean up the one you have, If yours is cracked or unserviceable by all means get another, remove the paint and rust, a wire brush on an angle grinder works wanders. Once cleaned prime and paint. Just takes time and you might learn something.

I think he removed the rust but not the pitting. It looks like the surface of the moon. I might fill in the pits with something and repaint it.

Leadslingingdaddy 11-08-2018 11:59 AM

So you gave up on the Burns??? Or the trailer???

Mudrig150 11-08-2018 12:35 PM

Haven't been able to find an engine for the burns, it's been slim pickings with people buying motors for leaf vacs and log splitters.

The trailer I haven't ordered the parts for yet.