Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT) (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   A 1912 running a QA42-A? (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57917)

sorner 11-21-2020 10:36 PM

A 1912 running a QA42-A?

It's getting colder, so I'm starting to think of snow season. Last year we did not get a blowable snow, barely a plowable snow. This spring I sold my 551 blower, because it's just huge and I really struggled to mount it. My plan was to use a QA42 on my 122 tractor, but the guy I sold the 551 to (he's a member here) gave me a re-painted disassembled QA42-A. I was thinking about running it on my red 782 but I sold that over the summer, and then I acquired an 1811 for free but it had a blown engine. Considering it had 3700 hours on it, everything was pretty worn on it, so I opted to part out what I could and scrap the rest. That leaves me with a green tractor, an 1872, 1912, and a 122 now. My 122 has the snow blade bolted on, and I didn't really want to get into messing with swapping the implements back and forth, especially with that one being a pin on setup. I have both pulley sizes so I could switch it if I needed to, but it has the bigger belt pulley on it currently. So, here we go... I decided to look around and see if anyone has mounted a QA42-A on a 1912/982 and used it. It looks like the general consensus is it can be done with some mods, the main issue being the left front wheel hits the chain cover when you turn, and the height. I decided to mount it up and see what I have, and with the blower all the way down, it was pretty close to the ground. I have stones so I'd be using the skids anyway, so that's not all bad. The only issue is with turning then. I was also thinking it might be an issue that the tire width is way out there at the edges of the blower, so it might be an issue with the wheels sticking out at the edge in general in a deep snow.

This got my wheels of creativity turning, which are a little rusty... I have some GT wheels laying in my garage, extra (a few sets actually) and my 1912 needs front tires anyway and the rims don't look so great due to rust. So I mounted the GT wheels on the SGT spindles on the front, and I found that I need a 1/4" x 1" ID spacer on the inside of the wheel because the spindle is a little longer. For now I kept the rear 26x12's on it, but I'm thinking about bolting some 23x10.50's on there, so it'll basically be a stretched GT (make it unique!). I think the 26x12's will be too wide also, like the super front wheels. I think it would be better if the wheels are narrower than the blower. It would have the SGT reduction gear setup in it, and cast iron rear. I have chains and weights for both sets of rims. This tractor has the 3 point hitch on it too, so I could go back to the bigger wheels in the summer for the ground breaking work if I need to...

The only think I think I'll need to do to make this work is make the lift arm on the blower longer to reach above the axle. I bolted a sleeve hitch strap to the side of it to test fit and see how it would look going up and down...

pics to follow... :popcorn: After I typed this all out on my PC I realized my phone hasn't synced my pics up in several days... that's an issue for another forum. :biggrin2:

sorner 11-21-2020 10:52 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are the pics, with SGT front wheels:
Attachment 106277

Attachment 106278

Attachment 106279

And with GT front wheels:
Attachment 106280

ol'George 11-22-2020 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorner (Post 502554)
Here are the pics, with SGT front wheels:
Attachment 106277

Attachment 106278

Attachment 106279

And with GT front wheels:
Attachment 106280

you might need the curved upper parallel arms, as the straight ones might hit on the spread frame as the thrower is raised fully up.
I just bent mine and added, seems like an inch so the holes could be re drilled.
I've posted pix's but have no clue how to find them, but they should be here on the forum.

sorner 11-22-2020 07:29 AM

Thanks George. I’ll see what happens when I get it all put back together. It’s just reassembled enough to sit there at the moment. I’ve seen those curved arms before so I know what you’re talking about.

darkminion_17 11-22-2020 11:01 AM

What size pulley do you have on the blower now?

sorner 11-22-2020 11:16 AM

It’s the 5/8”

darkminion_17 11-22-2020 11:49 AM

is it the correct diameter?.

sorner 11-22-2020 12:21 PM

I assume it is, it looks just like the PTO pulley, size wise.

darkminion_17 11-22-2020 12:28 PM

Kewl! :biggrin2:

sorner 12-16-2020 11:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well tomorrow is go time. I’m ready to blow... the 16x6.50’s on the front give just enough clearance between the left front wheel and the blower driveshaft with the wheel turned to the right. I had to run three 1” bushing washers on the axle to take up the space because the axle spindle is longer on the supers. I used one behind and two out front behind the axle bolt. It’s about 1/4” that needs taken up. I couldn’t put all three washers behind the wheel because it made the tire closer to the driveshaft on full turn to the right. I don’t have a permanent solution for the lift arm yet so I’m still using a sleeve hitch lift strap temporarily. I started up the engine and hit the PTO and everything works, so I’m excited. We’re in 18-24” here. That’s gonna be a lot for the first run with this setup.

Attachment 106557

Attachment 106555

Attachment 106556