Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT) (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   2182 Front PTO Problems (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54654)

shovelhead 03-14-2019 07:28 PM

2182 Front PTO Problems

Using my machine to blow snow with a 551 on it. Awesome combo by the way!
Anyway, last time i tried to use it, hit the PTO and nothing. Tried a couple more times and finally got PTO to engage, but would quit when switch returned to the run position. In messing with PTO switch while unseated, I noticed that when engaging the PTO the lights came on too! Not bright, but dim and flickering. I did manage to get the driveway done, but the PTO would engage and disengage on its own. Like there was a short.
Since that time I have replaced the ignition switch connector, the ignition switch and the PTO switch. The last trial i ran, was disconnecting the "Blue" light lead from the back of the connector. The lights did not work with the key on the ignition, but still lit and flickered when attempting to engage the PTO. Still seems like a short, but I don't know where else to look. I'm definitely not an electrician!! Maybe at the rectifier?? Maybe the PTO itself?? The light thing has me baffled!! Most of the time now, the lights will flicker but the PTO does nothing, not even trying to engage. Has worked flawlessly up until this point.
Any Help, Tips or Hints would greatly be appreciated!!
Thanks Guys!!
Don

R Bedell 03-15-2019 07:24 AM

Quote:

Still seems like a short,
You are correct. Since both the Lights and the PTO are in the front of the tractor, then I would start there. Trace the wiring back to where they come together into a loom or harness. Check for "frayed" wires, touching together, and the sheathing worn.

crazycubtrio 03-15-2019 09:10 AM

That sounds like a “seal in” relay problem would be the most likely cause. I’m not sure where it is located on that specific model but it essentially leaves the pto on if all the safety criteria are met such as seat switch reverse switch and maybe others. As you’ve noted it engages in the fully up “start” spring loaded position but drops out in the middle “on”position. I believe you have either a safety switch problem or that relay itself. I’m sure someone here can help out with a wiring diagram

crazycubtrio 03-15-2019 09:24 AM

Actually now that I read your problem again I have to agree with Roland that you probably have some pinched wires somewhere. Sorry for the confusion

CubDieselFan 03-15-2019 09:54 AM

Are you 100% sure you have the correct replacement ignition switch? Wrong switch installed has happened here?

jpswift1 03-15-2019 03:42 PM

The correct ignition switch is a crucial part. There were different switches for Cubs with Kohler Commands. Kohler Magnums, Kubota, or Kawasaki engines.

shovelhead 03-15-2019 05:39 PM

Cub is serial# 827543. I installed a 925-3163 ignition switch.
Made no difference over the old switch. I will dig in and look for short in the wiring, when it gets a bit warmer here in N. Michigan.
Thanks

taylorjm 03-15-2019 06:03 PM

So, we should hear back from you maybe in July? Michigan here too.

shovelhead 03-15-2019 06:19 PM

You’re definitely a Michigander, being so optimistic!! Lol

j knight 03-16-2019 07:31 AM

flickering lights

Your pto may be looking for a ground.