Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Briggs & Stratton Engines (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Briggs fuel pump bypass? (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54118)

Mudrig150 12-19-2018 10:04 PM

Briggs fuel pump bypass?

Change of plans. I realized it's easier to find a Briggs opposed twin. In fact, there are 2 for sale right now for $100. One runs and the other is for parts. Try finding a Magnum for that.

Anyway, the one has no fuel pump. I really don't want to deal with the crap of the fuel pumps and would really like to have an electric pump. How would I go about bypassing the fuel pump? And yes, I did watch that one video, he did not explain it very well.

john hall 12-19-2018 10:28 PM

Well, you gotta have something to do tomorrow. Explain why you don't want to use a factory fuel pump.
My 982 has one. So does my 2072, 1811, heck I think even my 782 has one. Come to think of it there is one on my 2284. Can't say they have ever been a real problem that I have found. Changed a couple of them because they were old enough to vote and it was convenient--but they were still working.

Leadslingingdaddy 12-20-2018 07:25 AM

You change your plans more than a teenage girl changes her BFF... If the gas tank on what ever machine your are talking about today is higher than the carb you really don't need a fuel pump either....

Hopefully they taught you that in school (gravity) or maybe you missed that section when you were too busy posting hopeful ideas on the net....

Mudrig150 12-20-2018 07:29 AM

Actually you do need a fuel pump on a briggs opposed twin. On one of my previous tractors the vacuum line came off the pump and it wouldn't run, despite the fact that the fuel tank was higher than the carb.

Also on a john deere 317 the fuel tank is above the transmission in the back, way lower than the carb on a horizontal shaft.

Leadslingingdaddy 12-20-2018 07:30 AM

Apparently you do not know the internal workings of a vacuum diaphragm pump...

Mudrig150 12-20-2018 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leadslingingdaddy (Post 474416)
Apparently you do not know the internal workings of a vacuum diaphragm pump...

I know how they work. Thinking about it.. that powr kraft definitely had fuel pump issues. I think that might be why it got fuel in the oil. So, that would mean that the fuel shutoff we put in... is basically useless. We put it so far up the line, can't imagine how much fuel still dumps into the oil.

R Bedell 12-20-2018 09:01 AM

Quote:

How would I go about bypassing the fuel pump?
Quote:

Actually you do need a fuel pump on a briggs opposed twin

Seems like YOU answered your own question.

:bigthink:

Mudrig150 12-20-2018 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R Bedell (Post 474428)
Seems like YOU answered your own question.

:bigthink:

I meant you need some FORM of fuel pump on a briggs. Having no fuel pump doesn't allow the engine to run.
I wonder if I could just block off the vacuum line and just let the electronic pump push the fuel past the diaphragm.

DieselDoctor 12-20-2018 01:04 PM

Youngster, look up the definition of the word "bypass". You will find the term means "to go around or to eliminate from the system" not to push or try to gravity flow thru a disabled vacuum pump. If the tank is higher than the carb and there is nothing but fuel line between them, that Briggs will run. And if the old fuel pump now has no fuel running through it, it cannot be a source of gas in the oil.

R Bedell 12-20-2018 01:15 PM

Quote:

Youngster, look up the definition of the word "bypass". You will find the term means "to go around or to eliminate from the system" not to push or try to gravity flow thru a disabled vacuum pump. If the tank is higher than the carb and there is nothing but fuel line between them that Briggs will run. And if the old fuel pump now has no fuel running through it, it cannot be a source of gas in the oil.
Ditto....x2

:IH Trusted Hand: