Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Customized Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Mini Motor Grader build (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56461)

sawdustdad 01-29-2020 11:05 PM

Mini Motor Grader build

5 Attachment(s)
I'm finally in a position to start the road grader project. Mostly recovered from rotator cuff surgery last June though I still have some weight lifting limitations for a few more months.

I'm about a week into the project.

Donor tractors include a 149 and a 129. The 129's rear end was removed and added to the back of the 149. In retrospect, I should have "Z" cut the frames or at least a diagonal. Oh well. Plated the frame for insurance.

I've fabricated a new engine bed over the rear wheels, and am at the point of hooking up the engine to the drive shaft between the two hydros.

Next step is to get the drive belt installed with a tensioner, get the newly rebuilt K301 running to test the rear drive set up. If I get too much belt slip, I'll either switch to a pair of belts or install a hydraulic pump on the engine and a motor to drive the hydros. Hydros are linked together. Brakes will be tied together as well. All very reminiscent of my Tandem of two years ago.

Once I know the rear drive will work, I'll strip and cut off the front end of the tractor and fabricate the over-blade frame, front end, blade and support structure, control hydraulics, etc. Lots of stuff to work on. This will take me a year I think, with all my other hobbies...

Front tires will be 6x12s or 23 8.50 12s. Rears will be 23x10.50 12 Tru Powers. Low inflation to keep them on the ground with the solid mounted axles.

Power steering, from a Super. Existing dash tower will be slimmed down. Torn about fenders over the rear tires or not. Will depend on how it looks. Motor graders do not usually have fenders...

I want it to still have most of the design features of a WF Cub Cadet but look like a scaled-down motor grader. Many of you have seen similar builds at tractor shows, so this is not the first time somebody has done this. Just my first time... :biggrin2:

Progress pics... Some are just mock-ups to assess spacing of seat location, engine, etc.

R Bedell 01-30-2020 07:01 AM

Looks like an interesting project. Keep us posted.

:ThumbsUp:

dz246 01-30-2020 10:16 AM

cool project :beerchug:

B440? 01-30-2020 07:10 PM

I like this project. What made you decide on two hydros vs. connecting with chain drive?

athomas 01-30-2020 09:30 PM

looks good, anxious to see the finished product !!:beerchug:

sawdustdad 01-30-2020 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B440? (Post 492634)
I like this project. What made you decide on two hydros vs. connecting with chain drive?

A single drive shaft vs. sprockets, chains, maintenance, adjustments, etc. Seems simpler...

guido 01-30-2020 11:29 PM

Looking forward to your progress.
:popcorn:

twoton 01-31-2020 06:26 AM

:popcorn:!

Sam Mac 02-01-2020 02:45 PM

The bearing in the charge pump is not designed to take a side load as you have it with your belt drive.

IHCubCadet147 02-01-2020 07:57 PM

Neat project! :popcorn: