Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Briggs & Stratton Engines (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Electrical problem- Voltage regulator? (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52633)

cwsink 07-02-2018 09:26 AM

Electrical problem- Voltage regulator?

I’ve got a LT 1050 with the Briggs 20 horse motor. My problem started when the battery kept losing charge, I concluded that it wasn’t getting charge. I considered that it might be the voltage regulator, but now the engine won’t even start. When I crank it, it will fire maybe once or twice then nothing.

Not sure what the issue is now. Any thoughts?

ol'George 07-02-2018 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwsink (Post 458873)
I’ve got a LT 1050 with the Briggs 20 horse motor. My problem started when the battery kept losing charge, I concluded that it wasn’t getting charge. I considered that it might be the voltage regulator, but now the engine won’t even start. When I crank it, it will fire maybe once or twice then nothing.

Not sure what the issue is now. Any thoughts?

Well it stands to reason if the battery is bad or discharged, it will not start.
I would charge the battery, then load test it or have it tested where they sell batteries. if bad/weak, get a new one.
Then see what happens.:beerchug:

cwsink 07-02-2018 11:07 AM

The battery is not the issue. As I mentioned it will crank the engine but the engine won’t fire.

cooperino 07-02-2018 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwsink (Post 458906)
The battery is not the issue. As I mentioned it will crank the engine but the engine won’t fire.

If it cranks the engine and it wont fire there is another issue besides charging.

cooperino 07-02-2018 11:21 AM

Need to know more of what you already checked..
Got gas? Getting gas to carb? Getting spark? Check your safety switches?
Etc Etc.

cooperino 07-02-2018 11:26 AM

You sure that's got a briggs in it? I see the 1050 listed as having a kohler 25. Pre 2008 it could have been command or courage. Did you or someone swap engines?

cwsink 07-02-2018 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperino (Post 458910)
Need to more of what you already checked..
Got gas? Getting gas to carb? Getting spark? Check your safety switches?
Etc Etc.

There is about 6 volts coming from the voltage regulator. I'm not sure about spark, I assumed the problem was either the V/R or alternator originally when I wasn't charging but the engine is running.

I'm assuming the new development with the engine not starting is linked to the same issue; but I don't know and I'm looking for clues.

cwsink 07-02-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperino (Post 458913)
You sure that's got a briggs in it? I see the 1050 listed as having a kohler 25. Pre 2008 it could have been command or courage. Did you or someone swap engines?

It's a Briggs, but it would have been swapped by someone else. Just bought it earlier this year.

cwsink 07-02-2018 02:41 PM

Possibly it's two different issues?

cooperino 07-05-2018 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwsink (Post 458944)
Possibly it's two different issues?

Yes. 2 issues. If you have a fully charged battery regardless if VR is working or not it should still start. So, You need to check for spark for starters. If you have spark chances are it is a fuel problem.