Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT) (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   ISO first Cub - need advice (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53786)

madzac 11-08-2018 11:05 AM

ISO first Cub - need advice

Hello, newcomer here. Starting search for a Cub for use at home. Needs: mow 3 acres, plow/blow snow on long driveway, tow aerator a couple times a year over 3 acres, etc. Of note is that the property is somewhat hilly. Seeking suggestions on which model(s), plus tips in general. The 149 and 1650 are a couple that interest me at this point, but I am open to all advice. Thank you.

Peter (SE Pa.)

cooperino 11-08-2018 11:20 AM

Welcome!

Either machine would do what your looking for.

Neither will be real fast at cutting 3 acres. The 1650 might be the better choice with largest deck available. What attachments do both machines already have?

Edit. Sorry I asked what attachments came with tractors. I thought you had 2 tractors you were looking at.

Leadslingingdaddy 11-08-2018 11:55 AM

At 3 acres I would be looking at a Super or Cyclops with at least a 54inch deck.... 1650 will rattle you to death... IMHO...

TNTs CC 11-08-2018 12:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Something like a 2182 Super or a 2284 Super with a 60" Haban deck and a 45" 551 snow blower would be a great combo.

I would actually just use my 3000 series(3240) with a 60" deck and the 45" 353 snow blower combo below.

Terry C 11-08-2018 01:34 PM

With that much grass, 54 or 60in decks would make your mowing quicker on a 2072, 2082, etc.

sawdustdad 11-08-2018 08:29 PM

Faced with cutting 3 acres, unless you have plenty of time, I'd be looking for a 30 hp tractor with a 72 inch finish (e.g., Woods) mower on the 3 pt hitch driven by the PTO. Figure $5k-$6k for an older used utility tractor. If that's not in the cards, then minimum 60 inch deck with 20+hp would be next best.

For me, I'd like to keep my mowing time to less than 90 minutes. That's about 1.5 ac with a 50 inch deck on a 1650. Or 3 ac on a 30 hp tractor with a 6 foot finish mower.

johncub7172 11-12-2018 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madzac (Post 471187)
Hello, newcomer here. Starting search for a Cub for use at home. Needs: mow 3 acres, plow/blow snow on long driveway, tow aerator a couple times a year over 3 acres, etc. Of note is that the property is somewhat hilly. Seeking suggestions on which model(s), plus tips in general. The 149 and 1650 are a couple that interest me at this point, but I am open to all advice. Thank you.

Peter (SE Pa.)

I have 5 acres, so about 3 that actually gets mowed. My wife and I have a 2012 1050 LGT Cub Cadet with a 50" deck. The lawn and garden tractor has no problem at all mowing this much acreage. I'm certain if I wanted to, I could throw the 50" deck on my 1450 and mow about the same. Both the 1450 and 1650 had optional 50" mower decks. A 16/1450 IH Cub Cadet is about as versatile as you can get. They will handle all other needs you list. A Super is going to set you back about 22hunded for one that should need nothing, and I'd guess a Cyclops would be less expensive. I've seen a 1641 in person, and they are great too. To read a 1650 will rattle you to death is a little over sensitive of a statement, they are not bad at all. But in the real world, a 60" deck, and a 72" deck is just over-kill to the definition. Not trying to spend your money here.

There are a number of items on a QL that will need addressed, so be sure to look for those should you inquire one, and factor in those repairs in the price of the tractor, if any. The IH Quiet Line have great advantages over the newer models due to the great parts and components that are less expensive to rebuild and maintain in the long run, as well as an abundant supply of parts. You won't need to be searching for that expensive twin cylinder or Magnum replacement engine when the 'ol one lung'er Kohler AQS K321 and K341's can be rebuilt a number of times. And with the QL 14/1650 you have hydraulic lift, cast iron transmission, electric PTO, and alternator on the engine. Keep the engine oil level on full, and the some-what hilly yard wont be an issue to the K321AQS engine. Also, no need to worry about how much time it takes one to mow their yard, or how many objects they mow around. Me, for example, consider mowing a privilege so I'm always taking longer most of the time to mow as close to objects as I can.

And welcome along to the forum!