Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Tractor pullers using Cub Cadets! (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   IH standard Transmission Questions (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53500)

Dlittle1 10-02-2018 07:28 AM

IH standard Transmission Questions

Hey guys, I have a Cub Cadet 149 that I have been pulling with for 3 years. I have a standard rear in it because we had too many issues with the hydro, that is not what Im here for though. I was wondering if you can shim the gears so that normally only the drive tire spins but when it comes under a load like when pulling both tires spin, and if this is possible can you guys tell me how to do it? I am asking because I pull in CT and there is a pulling team here that wins every pull and my friends and I are almost positive they have locked rears. When we asked they said they shimmed the gears so here I am asking if its possible to do that.

cooperino 10-02-2018 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dlittle1 (Post 468163)
Hey guys, I have a Cub Cadet 149 that I have been pulling with for 3 years. I have a standard rear in it because we had too many issues with the hydro, that is not what Im here for though. I was wondering if you can shim the gears so that normally only the drive tire spins but when it comes under a load like when pulling both tires spin, and if this is possible can you guys tell me how to do it? I am asking because I pull in CT and there is a pulling team here that wins every pull and my friends and I are almost positive they have locked rears. When we asked they said they shimmed the gears so here I am asking if its possible to do that.

Yup. Shimming spider gears will work. Its not truly locked like this but it will work both rear wheels this way.

Sorry.. I had no idea about this guy.. Tim clued me in.. I thought it was just a bad link

J-Mech 10-02-2018 08:42 AM

Coop, that site won't link here on OCC because it is not allowed. We all here strongly recommend you find other sources of information. The owner of that site has some character issues and his info is banned here.

To the OP:
Yes, you can shim spider gears in the diff. For the record though, there is not a "drive tire". They both are drive tires. If you don't understand how a differential works, there is a great YouTube video...... :RollEyes2:

olds45512 10-02-2018 09:02 AM

The tighter you shim the spider gears the less they will want to turn, if you shim them tight enough it will basically lock the rearend.

cooperino 10-02-2018 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Mech (Post 468171)
Coop, that site won't link here on OCC because it is not allowed. We all here strongly recommend you find other sources of information. The owner of that site has some character issues and his info is banned here.

To the OP:
Yes, you can shim spider gears in the diff. For the record though, there is not a "drive tire". They both are drive tires. If you don't understand how a differential works, there is a great YouTube video...... :RollEyes2:

Truly sorry.. Had no idea... :bash2: Just thought the link was messed up.

mickb72 10-02-2018 09:27 AM

Ditch the old cast carrier setup. Get a two piece steel carrier fine spline set. Shim the side gears .010-.015 each, they push in toward the spiders. More if you want to grind off the nose of the axles. Much better setup and easier to do. Mike:beerchug:

CADplans 10-02-2018 09:46 AM

If you have enough horsepower to spin the wheels,,,
why not apply the brake a little as you pull,, the brake will cause the pull to equalize to both sides,,:bigthink:

J-Mech 10-02-2018 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CADplans (Post 468181)
why not apply the brake a little as you pull,, the brake will cause the pull to equalize to both sides,,:bigthink:

Because a brake robs horsepower. I can tell you have never tractor pulled. Last thing you want to do is add drag.

Terry C 10-02-2018 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CADplans (Post 468181)

:biggrin2::biggrin2:

CADplans 10-02-2018 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Mech (Post 468197)
Because a brake robs horsepower. I can tell you have never tractor pulled. Last thing you want to do is add drag.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry C (Post 468208)
:biggrin2::biggrin2:

I have watched GT pulls,,
every competitive tractor had WAY more power than traction,,,

There gotta be a better way than scooting your butt left and right like an itchy unwashed monkey,,,, :bigeyes: