Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Gardens, Lawns and Landscapes (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Weed killer (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52586)

bllwnkl 06-26-2018 10:13 AM

Weed killer

I've tried two different weed killers from Tractor Supply. They work temporarily but In the Spring the grass and weeds come back even better than before! :bash2:
I want to kill it. Is this an EPA thing or something like that? Have any of you found anything that works? :Huh:

cooperino 06-26-2018 10:21 AM

I would get one that's called "ground clear" as long as you want NOTHING to grow where your using it. For walks and patios I use a propane torch.

nophun 06-26-2018 11:02 AM

I've never done it myself, but some folks use rock salt in areas they want to prevent growth, like gravel driveways and walks.

J-Mech 06-26-2018 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bllwnkl (Post 458215)
I've tried two different weed killers from Tractor Supply. They work temporarily but In the Spring the grass and weeds come back even better than before! :bash2:
I want to kill it. Is this an EPA thing or something like that? Have any of you found anything that works? :Huh:

I think you need to understand a bit more about what you are doing, and what you want.
Most all herbicides are only contact killers. You have to get it on the plant, and the plant dies. Some herbicides don't kill to the root, so more sprouts come from the root. Some do kill to the roots. Not many herbicides have residual control. Not ones you can buy anyway. But they are out there.

Someone mentioned rock salt. Yes, that will work, but it turns the soil highly acidic and it won't grow anything ever again. It basically ruins the soil. On a driveway I suppose it will work, but be careful. The salt will spread when it rains. If water runs off the area into grass you want.....

bllwnkl 06-26-2018 01:39 PM

I'm basically doing my gravel driveway and a few spots out in the yard. When I went to TSC, I asked them what they would recommend. At first it was Amine 400 2,4-D I believe. The next summer it grew back so I went back and was told to try Barrier. I don't recall what it's makeup is but it does say for "up to one year" (duh).
I sprayed it with Amine 400 again last summer because I ran out of Barrier and this is what I have again. I originally told them I wanted to get rid of the weeds, they have been no help yet.

https://i.imgur.com/KFc7bzS.jpg?1

J-Mech 06-26-2018 01:54 PM

2,4-D is only a broadleaf killer. It doesn't kill grass, or anything in the grass family. You need a glyphosate. (Round-up).

bllwnkl 06-26-2018 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Mech (Post 458248)
2,4-D is only a broadleaf killer. It doesn't kill grass, or anything in the grass family. You need a glyphosate. (Round-up).

Well, TSC is probably just trying to push their products. I passed up Round-up at other stores thinking a tractor place would have better stuff. :bash2:
Thanks Jonathan.

bllwnkl 06-26-2018 02:14 PM

Crazy

I just looked up Round-up. It's only good for up to 12 months as well. I guess I have no choice. :Unknown:

J-Mech 06-26-2018 02:18 PM

TSC carries Round-Up by name brand, and in their house brand.

Randy, nothing lasts longer than 12 months. Even the most expensive herbicides have to be applied every year.

On another note, grading a driveway regularly also helps control weeds.

cooperino 06-26-2018 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Mech (Post 458251)
TSC carries Round-Up by name brand, and in their house brand.

Randy, nothing lasts longer than 12 months. Even the most expensive herbicides have to be applied every year.

On another note, grading a driveway regularly also helps control weeds.

Salt might be a good thing for a driveway... Salt it good and put down some RCA! Got a box scraper for your tractor?