Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Customized Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   2 bottom plow (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51136)

dirtcowboy 01-20-2018 05:16 PM

2 bottom plow

4 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple pics of my custom built 2 bottom plow with a replica version of a Midwest Buster Bar harrow on my mini IH 5488. Got the plow all finished yesterday and will make its debut on March 31st at Phil Klines spring plowday. Here is a link to a walk around video of this unit from today as well.

https://youtu.be/V2UDP_jR5ZQ

cadetmike 01-20-2018 05:38 PM

That is a nice set up sir! Would like to see that Buster Bar in action, might have to put something like that on mine

R Bedell 01-20-2018 05:39 PM

That is a fantastic job and I really like what I see.

:IH Trusted Hand:

jimbob200521 01-20-2018 05:43 PM

You've got this built and here I am debating ordering a 3pt kit from Xtreme motor works :biggrin2: excellent job!

dirtcowboy 01-20-2018 07:56 PM

Thank you everyone :beerchug: I'm really looking to the plowday. I used the buster bar in mid December before the ground froze when we were fine tuning things before teardown to paint. The tractor pulls the plow great, it has two 10" Brinly bottoms on it with new shares on each bottom. I took it to a couple fall plowdays and it worked great and doesn't pull much harder than my cat 12" single bottom plow.

J-Mech 01-21-2018 01:25 PM

Fantastic job as always Jerry!!

Did you set up both plows to take a full 10" bite?

We had a Midwest Buster Bar on a 560 plow we had. I pulled the plow quite a bit, but never with the buster bar on it. They took it off before I started driving, but it sat in the shed for years, and the plow still had the mounts for it on it.

Nice work!!
:IH Trusted Hand:

john hall 01-21-2018 02:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You do some really nice looking work! I've never heard of that Midwestern Buster Bar before. Learn something new all the time. If someone cares to elaborate on the "why" of the buster bar I would appreciate it. I would assume you run it in "clean" land to help smooth things out? I come from the land of heavy duty IH plows---its either a 450 IH auto reset or nothing--anything else is a joke in our clay and rocks. It takes a heavy duty harrow (disc) to level after plowing. The pic is not ours, we ran two 4 bottoms, both are long gone now.

Rescue11 01-21-2018 02:44 PM

DIRTCOWBOY, that is a really nice job. Interesting that you say it does not pull any harder than a 12"!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbob200521 (Post 444545)
You've got this built and here I am debating ordering a 3pt kit from Xtreme motor works :biggrin2: excellent job!

Just order it. I'll have Keith post pictures of the one he bought from extreme. It looks like spaghetti. It'll make you glad you spent all that money:biggrin2:

ol'George 01-21-2018 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john hall (Post 444589)
You do some really nice looking work! I've never heard of that Midwestern Buster Bar before. Learn something new all the time. If someone cares to elaborate on the "why" of the buster bar I would appreciate it. I would assume you run it in "clean" land to help smooth things out? I come from the land of heavy duty IH plows---its either a 450 IH auto reset or nothing--anything else is a joke in our clay and rocks. It takes a heavy duty harrow (disc) to level after plowing. The pic is not ours, we ran two 4 bottoms, both are long gone now.

I pull an F145 (JD) 5-14's with the old 806, it handles it in any soil.
a 12'6 disk and packer does the leveling.
Just doing it the way I've done it 50+ years ago, and enjoying it.
Every year I ask myself, can I still physically do it?
Life is short.:bigthink:

J-Mech 01-21-2018 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john hall (Post 444589)
If someone cares to elaborate on the "why" of the buster bar I would appreciate it. I would assume you run it in "clean" land to help smooth things out? I come from the land of heavy duty IH plows---its either a 450 IH auto reset or nothing--anything else is a joke in our clay and rocks. It takes a heavy duty harrow (disc) to level after plowing. The pic is not ours, we ran two 4 bottoms, both are long gone now.

Yep. Basically just a harrow. It levels things out enough that when you follow it with a disk, or whatever, that you don't get beat up as bad.

We ran trip plows here, but not spring reset trips plows. Ours were manual reset. We did it more for old oil flow lines than for rocks. Not uncommon at all to find an old flow line buried just 6" or so below the surface. BTW, the non spring reset sucks when you trip one that hasn't been tripped in 20 years. I found an old flow line in a piece of ground I farmed in high school. Caught the plow and tripped it. Like to have never got it reset. Finally parked it on an old grain bin site and hooked the share to the concrete and got it to reset! I tried it out in the gravel road and it just dug a hole!! Freakin thing was STIFF!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ol'George (Post 444593)
I pull an F145 (JD) 5-14's with the old 806, it handles it in any soil.
a 12'6 disk and packer does the leveling.
Just doing it the way I've done it 50+ years ago, and enjoying it.
Every year I ask myself, can I still physically do it?
Life is short.:bigthink:

I can't decide if our soil is not as heavy here, as it is up north or what. We have tons of clay and our topsoil is only about 12". Some places it isn't that thick, and you hit clay. Shoot, some places, it is just clay. Anyway, I was just talking to granddad the other day about the IH 560 (6-14's) we had. He said they bought it and pulled it with the 806 gas! I didn't know the 80' gas would pull 6 14's. He said it did. (We plowed at least 8", deeper when we could.) Kind of explains why the 856D and 1066 didn't seem to mind the load at all. :biggrin2: